Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Default AKo in SB

No hand history, so I take it from the memory.
My stack is around 100 BB, EP 50, MP 100, LP 60, BB 70.

I'm in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
EP limps, MP raises to 4.5 BB, LP calls, action is on me.
Pot is currently 11.5 BB - I'm quite sure EP will call if I call, and fold if I reraise.

What is your action here? I see many different ways of playing this OOP.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: AKo in SB

Blinds, buy-in, entrants, players left???
Old 10-14-2005, 04:05 PM

Blinds are 50/25 (level 3), $30 buyin, 99 entrants and around 70 left.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 AM

Anyone?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:41 AM

This is a little difficult. You are not crazy about flat calling 3-way against mid to late position action. Pushing is a big overbet. Making a raise big enought to push any flop is also an overbet. If you make a pot sized or a little bigger raise, you probably wind up playing AK OOP in a big pot. Since none of these alternatives are great, I think they are all reasonable approaches.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:53 AM

kinda vague...but i'd let it go a lot of the time.
Mike
Old 10-16-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a little difficult. You are not crazy about flat calling 3-way against mid to late position action. Pushing is a big overbet. Making a raise big enought to push any flop is also an overbet. If you make a pot sized or a little bigger raise, you probably wind up playing AK OOP in a big pot. Since none of these alternatives are great, I think they are all reasonable approaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't you just play poker after the flop and not have to preplan what you do before you reraise here? i mean it nice to know what the potsize will be in relation to your stack size, but you don't have to Cbet not matter what. if you make a healthy potsized reraise here to 20ish BB you give yourself a really good chance of taking down a decent sizeed pot. and if they call that big a raise you can probably put them on a pretty narrow range (unless you have notes on them) and then play the flop accordingly.

IMO, if you reraise here you'll likely win 11.5 BB in the pot, and if he's got AA or KK you probaly find out right away. plus it defines his range. if you call you're in a decent sized pot OOP with very little idea of what you're up against. not good.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if you reraise here you'll likely win 11.5 BB in the pot, and if he's got AA or KK you probaly find out right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original raiser will put in a third raise with AA or KK. However, a third raise does not necessarily mean AA or KK. Villain raised from mid position and you are rerasiing from the blinds. Your reraise could be interpretted as a resteal or squeeze play. A lot of people would put in a third raise with AK, QQ, or JJ. He could make a third raise with a weaker hand than those, given the positions. Folding to a third raise may not be bad, but a third raise doesn't mean you are dominated.

Probably putting in a little more than pot sized raise is this best play. However, I still think pushing, putting in a big reraise, or flat calling are playable, and make the hand easier to play. You avoid tricky decisions of what to do with a third raise or what to do if you are called and miss the flop. Playing a big pot with AK OOP has some disadvantages.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing a big pot with AK OOP has some disadvantages.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree completely. which is why i think reraising is almost certainly best, the only question is how much is the best amount. i like around potsized or a little more just b/c thats what i'd always do as a reraise b/c i want to give them a decent chance to fold.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:00 AM

My thoughts:
I was pretty sure I wouldn't get them all to fold with a pot-sized raise, so I'd have to play a big pot with AK OOP.

A push would probably let me take down the pot, but when I'd
be called, I'd be far behind. Not worth risking my stack at.

I chose to call - I'd rather play a 4-way small pot, than a heads-up big pot OOP. BB also called, and EP too.

5-way family pot, and the flop comes:
K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

22,5 BB in the pot, I'm first to act. Pot-sized bet? Check-raise?
I'm pretty sure I'm ahead now, but against 4 players I can very likely be up against a flush and/or straight draw. Push?