Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:03 AM

Default A president for our times

Finally, a candidate that we can all agree on.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Where\'s The Beef?

It's kind of hard to agree on him (based on that link) when his website offers precious little real information about his political views or affiliations.

"Our great country is in a terrible downward spiral. We're outsourcing jobs, bankrupting social security, and losing lives at war. We need to focus on what's important-- paying attention to our children, our citizens, our future. We need to think about improving our failing educational system, making better use of our resources, and helping to promote a stable, safe, and tolerant global society. It's time to be smart about our politics. It's time to get America back on track."

I have bolded the vapid parts of the above quote.

From the Politics Page of his website, he addresses exactly 3 issues, identifying them as the issues that need solutions now:

Campaign Finance Reform (pro), Military Funding (pay our troops more while giving the Pentagon a smaller budget), Stem Cell Research (pro).

That's it?

From his Biography page, I couldn't even find out to which political party he belongs--nor could I find it on his entire website.

On his Biography page, this was the closest I found in the way of any information regarding political orientation:

"Now, more active than ever, Christopher Walken has realized that the state of his country is in disarray, and the politicians in charge care less for the citizens they serve and more about fattening their resumes and campaign chests. Having residences both in rural Connecticut and upper-west Manhattan, he sees that all walks of life are becoming disgruntled and apathetic towards the American government, and feels a duty, as a child of the American public, to restore the peace, prosperity, and greatness of the United States." = Who'd a thunk?

I'm not saying he might not be a good candidate with good ideas. For all I know, he could be the next Abraham Lincoln. His webpage however tells us precious little. And I'm always suspicious of politicians who use lots of phrases like "get America back on track" or "restore the peace, prosperity and greatness of the United States." Nuts and bolts, please, Mr. Walken. We really don't need more empty feel-good rhetoric, we need to know exactly how you plan to do these things.

Granted, he's far from alone in his use of empty rhetoric (a major problem nearly all politicians seem to be afflicted with). However one would think his website would offer more in the sense of a political platform--and at least tell us to which political party he belongs (or are we just expected to guess he's a Democrat since he's an actor? Probably, that guess would have at least an 80% chance of being correct).