Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Why is liberal a bad word...

while conservative is not?

Aren't they pretty much two sides of the same coin? Aren't they essentially neutral words?

Several posters and many notable Republicans today use the word "liberal" as if it is an insult. I would think it was especially stupid if the Democrats did not react as though it was an insult. So, I am just wondering...

By the way, even though I feel the flames coming, I am not a liberal. I'm actually a moderate who leans toward conservatism. But...I also have a degree in English, so I'm naturally curious about particular word usage.

There you go...flame on.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Why is liberal a bad word...

I cannot say why the word "liberal" has become a pejorative, but the fact that most liberals now use the word "prgressive" is an indication that they prefer another word, too.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Because liberals are seen as pussies, thanks to Bush and his media machine. You don't want pussies running our country, do you?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because liberals are seen as pussies, thanks to Bush and his media machine. You don't want pussies running our country, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of fact, I do [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Conservatives have painted liberalism, as practiced by the Democrats when they were in the saddle, as responsible for many of today's woes. So if you're a liberal, you're on the wrong side. Since conservatives have been in the saddle, liberals think it better to not call themselves liberals, preferring "progressive" or other euphemisms.

IIRC, Democrats did the same thing with the word "conservative" in the 1960s. The shoe's just on the other foot now.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while conservative is not

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not? Really?

Methinks this depends on where you live and who you are with.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:43 PM

It still can be. Note that Bush ran as a "compassionate conservative." So he (or Rove) must have felt the naked word needed some modification.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because liberals are seen as pussies, thanks to Bush and his media machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are wrong if you think this is all about bad PR. Liberalism is disrespected because of their excesses in the past. Income tax rates of 70%, free flowing yet unproductive social programs, radical military reductions making us vunerable.

Conservatives have never had the power to make one sided bad decisions like these. The margins in Congress even today is too narrow to get anything by without liberal GOP support. Add to that the fact that the courts routinely kill anything that looks even slightly conservative, and you have the simple fact that there have been no conservative excesses, and one can safely vote for a conservative without having to fear future excesses.

The bad effects of past liberal excesses are still with us, so people have not forgotten, and don't think people are fooled by someone who calls himself a "progressive", they know that that means liberal.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Conservatives have never had the power to make one sided bad decisions like these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, if the margins are so close, then how come the pendulum doesn't swing both ways? Isn't it equally true that the GOP needs conservative Democrats to help get its programs passed(for instance, the Patriot Act)?

I'm a little confused by your post. You speak to the narrow margin of Congress, but then state that liberals have had essentially carte blanche to execute their excessive programs. What about McCarthy's era? What about persisting in Vietnam? What about persisting in the war on terror?

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I would like some clarification on this point.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are wrong if you think this is all about bad PR. Liberalism is disrespected because of their excesses in the past. Income tax rates of 70%, free flowing yet unproductive social programs, radical military reductions making us vunerable.

Conservatives have never had the power to make one sided bad decisions like these. The margins in Congress even today is too narrow to get anything by without liberal GOP support. Add to that the fact that the courts routinely kill anything that looks even slightly conservative, and you have the simple fact that there have been no conservative excesses, and one can safely vote for a conservative without having to fear future excesses.

The bad effects of past liberal excesses are still with us, so people have not forgotten, and don't think people are fooled by someone who calls himself a "progressive", they know that that means liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to consult this book before you use the word liberal again.

Actually, I think most conservatives who frequently use the world liberal to describe something similar to what BGC did really do know what liberal means - which makes me wonder why they continue using it despite the fact it's a rather poor way to charactize people who want to raise taxes, increase regulations, institute radical social programs centered around collectivism, etc.

Truth be told, I really don't wonder at all.

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are wrong if you think this is all about bad PR.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think they've hit it right on the mark.