Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Benching your own weight once

I havent read any responses but you're buddies are either screwing with you or very inexperienced. When i first started out I was benching about 75% of my weight. Genetics do play a roll in what your limits are but I think in general most guys can do at least their body weight if they train good enough.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also you should be careful not to misinterpret 3x a week in the gym for an hour. 3 1-hr workouts a week spreading your different muscle groups out throughout the week = good. Working on your bench press 3x a week = waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this is a given. I will be working each muscle group once a week for roughly 20 minutes, and I'll have 9 groups total.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no way Lance Armstrong can dunk a basketball. Percentage wise, almost no one under six feet tall can dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's 5'11. you're telling me "given that he is under 6 foot, he probably can't dunk." brilliant. i guess that's all you know about him, since that's the evidence you quote to back yourself up, which makes it strange that you would feel so strongly about it.

how about "given that he's 5'11, he probably can't dunk." you'd still be right. but how about "given that he's 5'11 160ish and an elite athlete (albeit an endurance one), theres a decent chance he can dunk." your statement has no bearing on that.

i'm 5'11. i can almost dunk. the hoop at my house is 9'11" because of a slant and i can dunk on that. i don't do any strength training at all.

i've played with some white guys my height who can dunk easily.

but i guess that since very few males of heights from one to six feet, in which group lance armstrong falls, can dunk, you probably are right that it's impossible for him to be able to. thanks for educating me.

by the way, people who can't make any statement without going to extremes (for whom "there is absolutely no way" is used in place of "i doubt highly") are annoying.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2X is not an elite feat, not even close

[/ QUOTE ]

This obviously depends on how much you weigh.

~D
Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

props to anyone who can lift 2x their weight, if you can do that, you need an ELITE t-shirt.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:39 AM

Lol, 1x bodyweight is trivial for an active person, but 2x bodyweight is elite, no matter what Kane says. We're talking .1% of the population.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Kane is full of it as usual, 240 is a far cry from 320 and bouncing 240 off your chest while your buddies "spot" you is not quite a legal lift. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here are someresults from the 2005 men's nationals. Note that some the strongest men in the country are putting up 2X to 3X.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol, 1x bodyweight is trivial for an active person, but 2x bodyweight is elite, no matter what Kane says. We're talking .1% of the population.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Set 1.5x as a reasonable goal over time of you're starting out.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm likely never to weight less than 210 or so. (I'm around 195 lean mass right now.) Even if I lost the weight to get to 210, which is unlikely...I'm aiming for 220, benching 420 is _hard_. Particularly given that I'm 6'3".

I will never hit 2x. 1.5x is iffy. I'm just glad I hit 1x.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 AM

Im calling bullshit. 2x your body weight is VERY VERY tough, Ive been lifting seriously for 4 years. At my peak, before my bulk cycle, I was 6 1 225, ~7.5bf%. I can deadlift 495 x 3, squat 405 x3 (deep squat), and my peak bench was 315 for 2. Im a little behind on my bench, because of lack of focus, but there is no way I will be benching 450lbs any time soon. 1% of the population could bench 2 times their body weight.