Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Wow, the little pots add up

I've fined tuned one of the leaks in my game... It was a mental leak ( I undervalued how much money could be won by small pots)...

To me, ring game no limit play was all about doubling up.. Screw winning a small .50 cent pot here and there, i was just concerened about doubling up...

But the thing is, those little .50 and 1.00 pots add up! Not only by the amount won, but also by "advertising" so you get action when you really have a monster... So all those littel pots i steal, win me money and also make it look like im aggressive stealing pots....

Its weird how this small leak has turned my breaking even streak, into a winning streak now]

Before, i hated AK since it only won a small pot.. Now i love it... wow, maybe im finally seeing the light
Old 04-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Wow, the little pots add up

Winning small pots helps you win big pots. If you never make moves in tiny pots, you won't get any action in big pots.

Nut peddling works at low limits, but it's far from the most profitable way to play.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 AM

Yes, those small pots do help you win huge ones.. In fact, i think they are the key factor in winning with big hands at least in my case
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 AM

What would you say is the most effective way to win higher limits if nut peddling isn't it.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:06 AM

Disguised hands and making big bluffs. The way I play it, I'll sometimes checkraise a set on an A-high flop against a preflop raiser, and sometimes lead out, and I'll sometimes checkraise with a missed pair, and sometimes lead out with it. If you play the same way with all of your hands, it's way too easy to detect, and you won't get any action. You'll also be pushed off your hands a lot.

You're looking to make sets and straights if you want to get paid. One-gappers are great for making a disguised hand, and you can often stack someone with a set if you hit.

You also have to be able to make big bluffs. If you sense weakness or you don't believe your opponent, you have to be able to blow him out of the hand, even though you're holding unimproved deuces. If you never bluff beyond continuation bets, you won't get paid on any of your big hands. It's a balance thing.

I don't play really high limits (I play from .5/1 to 2/4, depending on my mood), but since the Party structure change, I've been working on the above things, and I know my game is a lot stronger than it used to be when I would just nut-peddle at Crypto .5/1 NL.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:08 AM

Good points edge, also beware of calling stations, don't bluff into them.

Until proven otherwise, assume a new player is a calling station.

>TW<