Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Second NL Post -- new to NL

i am nearly brand spanking new to NL. i mean im still wet behind the ears... ive jumped into the 6 max 50/100 buy ins at party. im not really playing my cardchips at all just pushing chips around semi-bluffing a lot picking up small medium pots and the blinds... i dont really feel like i am learning anything tho. one thing i know i need help on is the propper amount to bet. also my read on the players cards suck.. i have a hard time putting them on anything except into three categories.. they have me beat and they know it, they dont have anything, and finally they probably have me beat but they dont really know it so im going to outplay them... also i think my aggression scares them. im wondering where i can start reading up on and learning about NL play besides 2p2 (im already soaking up the forums). also i read earlier about heads up challenges between players.. im in. any info or direction would be greatly appreciated also should i be using similiar pre flop standards to limit or do some of the values change?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Second NL Post -- new to NL

[ QUOTE ]
one thing i know i need help on is the propper amount to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never too much of a mistake to bet 3/4 pot

[ QUOTE ]
im wondering where i can start reading up on and learning about NL play besides 2p2

[/ QUOTE ]

No need. Everything you need is right here. Maybe a few books will be a good addition, but the answer to the rest of your questions is 'it depends'.

There are many many factors that make every single hand unique, and if you keep reading 2+2 and posting tough hands for you, then you will begin to understand how to adapt to each new situation.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM

thanks for the response.. what books would u recommend to read first... already read SSH , ToP, most of HPFAP, what about dan harringtons books?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 PM

I haven't read many books, but from what I hear there is a good book "pot-limit and no-limit holdem" by two authors

I'm trying to remember the name, one of them starts with an R i think, hopefully some one else can chime in here
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM

Pot Limit and No Limit Poker By Stewart Reuben and Bob Ciaffone is, I believe, one of the best No-Limit books out in the market.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:08 AM

I haven't read many books, but I read supersystem by Doyle Brunson (which is a good enough basic book that covers quite alot) and I've also heard that most Sklanksy books are good. I've read a bunch of articles on the internet when I first started (goooooogle), and I've read lots of forum threads on various forums. Once you have a very basic understanding of poker, the forums help more than any book does (imo) .

That being said, bet anywhere from 50% to 100% of the pot, depending on your objective, as a general starter rule heh. Bet more if you're worried, bet less if you want callers.