Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Need help buying a PDA

I am getting a PDA. The biggest reason why I am getting the PDA is to organize my gambling (account names/passwords/pins, events/overlay tourneys/bonuse times, spreadsheets...). I also want one that can get the internet, just because I'm a dork that needs to google stuff all the time. Also, I want one that understands english print, not some stylis language like the old palms.

Anyone have any recomendations? I don't know anything about them at all. I've got post its, crypto letters, and computer paper with random [censored] all over my desk...I need it bad.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Need help buying a PDA

I'm really not a fan of PDA, unless drunk in a bar and then it is typically necessary and inevitable.

Ok who am i kidding. PDA in the library, back right corner desk...WOW!!

Oh and if you are looking for a palm pilot my dad has one of the Palm ones and likes it a lot.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:56 AM

If you want compatibility with your desktop for spreadsheets and some other files a "windows mobile" based PDA would be good for you. The cheapest one with a decent amount of memory is probably sufficient. windows mobile also will allow easier text input.

A palm (or palm based) PDA would be much cheaper but you have to learn their 'graffiti'. If you don't want to do that there are replacement software packages that you can get for your palm to change it so you don't have to learn anything.

~CT

oh yah "windows mobile" has been called 1000 things... windows CE, windows for pocket PCs are a few other names.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:16 AM

If money is no object then the Sony Ericsson P900 or 910 is worth a look see. I have a P900 and really like it. It does use a stylus however but it has a built in keyboard for the P910.

I recommend doing research and knowing EXACTLY what you want and what each device does well. Check out www.howardforums.com they have a lot of good info on phones in general and have a PDA section I believe.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 AM

fold. PDAs are worthless.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:04 AM

I have a Tungsten T that I have had for about 18 months now. I use it all the time as it has my Pocket Quicken on it and Poker Tracker which works much like StatKing on my laptop. It is really nice to not have to remember time played and win/loss when I get home.

I am thinking about upgrading to a Palm that offers internet access but haven't because I am not that sure how much I would use that feature.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:16 PM

I got a toshiba 750 that i'm pretty happy with. If you're looking for smart design, then this will upset you, but it's only got a few problems that you'd notice.

Pros:

400Mhz proc
64MB ram
16-bit color screen
240x320 screen
BUILT IN WIFI
Both SD AND CompactFlash expansion slots
Great handwriting recognition software (part of PocketPC software, I assume)

Cons:
If batteries drain, you'll likely lose whatever you don't have synched
Voice record button on the side is easy to accidentally press when putting the unit back in its case, which turn the unit on.

I'm guessing that Toshiba has an updated model of this now (it's a 2003 PDA) that fixes some of these issues. The price was too good to pass up on the 750 for me (like $120). Built in WiFi is incredibly nice, and it's great for email and web browsing. It comes with word & excel too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Freakin
Old 02-21-2005, 05:44 PM

wow 120 bucks...going to start looking at that one
Old 02-22-2005, 05:49 PM

Try to get one with a mini built in keyboard, it's much better than using the stylus.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:09 PM

On the high end of the cost spectrum, I am very happy with my Dell Axim x50v. It has built in wifi and a better resolution screen then most pocketpcs, and I find that makes a big difference. No matter what PDA you buy, go buy ListPro from Illium software, it's a fantastic piece of software that lets you make rather complex lists.