Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Interesting question for football fans

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fundamental problem I have with this is that football is not played in a vacuum (I don't mean literally).

For a receiver like Ward to be effective, he has to have a complement of other threats on the team. Moss' height and jumping ability is a threat all by itself. Running game shot to hell? Its still there, you can throw to Moss. Possession Receiver not getting open? Slot back ineffective? You get the picture.

3 Vicks at WR would have limited impact ... speed, and that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Rice is 6'2" and was never known as a jumper,etc. or applauded for his height. His is arguably the best football player ever, and easily the best wr. Also look at Harrison now. Size is a great attribute, but not necessary to be an effective wr.

Being undersized a la Chrebet, is a completely different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is in the normal NFL where those players are surrounded by a TEAM which consists of a complement of players, weapons and dimensions ... and you are 100% correct.

In the clone FL you have to be a self-contained weapon. Moss has many more dimensions at WR, in fact, he has what many consider to be an almost unstoppable threat. The high pass, over and away from the DB. He is slowed down by double teams ... Now, what happens when you have 3 more Moss' out on the play? Culpepper certainly will find one of them for the jump.

One of the Vicks will have to get open (and found by the QB) whereas, Culpepper can pick any one of the MOSS that has single coverage and throw immediately.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:29 AM

1) Tackling as a DB in highschool is different from tackling 240 pound running backs in the NFL. There are many players in the NFL that have very poor tackling technique. Ed Reed is not one of them. Dante Culpepper, Randy Moss, Micheal Vick etc. would get embassed on defence.

2) Dante Culpepper would get destroyed on the d-line and o-line. Not only is he undersized by at least 35 pounds, but line play, especially o tackle is 80% technique. If you ever gave Culpepper the ball he would fumble it. He has fumbled on a greater percentage of plays than ANY player in NFL history. He averages one per game over his career.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:37 AM

How often do you see db's making 1 on 1 tackles against someone like Bettis? When it happens, it simply diving at the legs. Most of the time they don't even wrap up. Not a tough skill to learn.

I am sure an athletic person is competent enough to learn to do so. The majority of the time big running backs are not 1 on 1 with db's. You're just wrong on this. And, fwiw, I tackled guys 240lbs who now play for D-1 colleges and I was 170lbs. You know that Kellen Winslow character? Ya...
Old 12-24-2004, 07:49 AM

My point is this:

If Micheal Vick tried to tackle Jamal Lewis in the open field he would get juked or run over more than nine times out of ten. This is how the argument relates to the question posed.

The Vick example aside there are many defensive players in the NFL who can't execute a proper wrap-up tackle. I'm not just talking about DBs either. I'm talking linebackers. Your example of how DBs don't need to learn to tackle because they can "jump" at a guys knees is rediculous. Take any player in the NFL and if they just jump at Priest Holmes' knees, he's just gonna bounce off and score.

While it may be true that you, as a defensive back, had perfect form back in the day and brought Kellen Winslow down with ease, it is not the case of your average athlete. Just ask John Madden about the state of tackling in the NFL and he'll repeat what I just said.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:05 AM

I feel like we're agreeing with each other here.

And my form was definetly not perfect. It's not so much as tackling as getting run over and bringing the other player down... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2004, 08:08 AM

Ah, the age-old speedbump technique... I know it well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]