Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Interesting question for football fans

# 3: Culpepper/Moss

Culpepper has enough size to play the line; FB; TE. Moss at the other positions would be unstoppable. Just one Moss is almost impossible to stop up high. You have 2 MOSS for a jump ball; 2 MOSS for Deep ball; and one more in the mix on every play ... that offense cannot be stopped.

Culpepper as the front 7 and SS on D; Moss as Corners and FS.

Looks good to me.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:22 AM

Culpepper/Moss would beat Lewis/Reed easily.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to what some would say, anyone who has played football knows that tackling LOOKS easy, but it is probably the hardest physical skill to teach, and definately the most valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I really have to disagree. Transitioning from quarterback to DB was incredibly simple. It was in high school, and obviously things are much different, but tackling larger players simply is resorting to sacrificing your body and ankle tackling. Tackling someone of similar stature is no problem. There is no reason to think Vick wouldn't be able to.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, There is NO WAY Vick runs a 4.20. Actually, I should rephrase that. Vick could run a 4.20 under the following conditions: He is wearing spikes on a world class track outdoors with an illegal tailwind. Then he might run a 4.2. The fact of the matter is that 40 times are complete BS. Both Terrel Owens and Jerry Rice have NEVER run faster than a 4.6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you about 40 times. However, have you ever watched Mike Vick play? When he scrambles he seems to move faser than every player on the field. He is
extremely agile and his burst is unparalled. His feet are easily quick enough to play defensive back. If he put on 15-25lbs he could be a running back in the Tiki Barber mold.

I actually think the Barber's are a very interesting example since they are twins and have the same make up. If you had many Vicks and were able to put them on different workouts to gain size or quickness they would be pro bowlers at QB, RB, DB, and FS. He could make a stellar SS and WR, but probably just below pro-bowl status.

[ QUOTE ]
The ability to "throw darts" pales in comparison to the ability to hawk balls and make tackles. If I'm not mistaken Champ played some reciever in college and regardless has vastly superior ball skills to Vick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ball hawking, having a "nose" for the ball, etc is much easier to learn than throwing a football. Once again, there is a reason that very good athletes are automatically relegated to DB positions. A quick release, amazing arm strentgh, etc, that Vick possesses is impossible to teach.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:19 AM

sup bro?
Old 12-24-2004, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ball hawking, having a "nose" for the ball, etc is much easier to learn than throwing a football. Once again, there is a reason that very good athletes are automatically relegated to DB positions. A quick release, amazing arm strentgh, etc, that Vick possesses is impossible to teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its also impossible to teach height. Vick don't have it. That means ... Vick at WR is nothing special and you need somebody to throw the ball to. Moss would get better at DB; Vick never will get taller.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:31 AM

That's why I said Vick would be an excellent reciever (think Hines Ward) but not Pro-Bowl Caliber Elite.

Moss's strides are much to long to play db extremely well. He would make a good safety though.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I said Vick would be an excellent reciever (think Hines Ward) but not Pro-Bowl Caliber Elite.

Moss's strides are much to long to play db extremely well. He would make a good safety though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fundamental problem I have with this is that football is not played in a vacuum (I don't mean literally).

For a receiver like Ward to be effective, he has to have a complement of other threats on the team. Moss' height and jumping ability is a threat all by itself. Running game shot to hell? Its still there, you can throw to Moss. Possession Receiver not getting open? Slot back ineffective? You get the picture.

3 Vicks at WR would have limited impact ... speed, and that's about it.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fundamental problem I have with this is that football is not played in a vacuum (I don't mean literally).

For a receiver like Ward to be effective, he has to have a complement of other threats on the team. Moss' height and jumping ability is a threat all by itself. Running game shot to hell? Its still there, you can throw to Moss. Possession Receiver not getting open? Slot back ineffective? You get the picture.

3 Vicks at WR would have limited impact ... speed, and that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Rice is 6'2" and was never known as a jumper,etc. or applauded for his height. His is arguably the best football player ever, and easily the best wr. Also look at Harrison now. Size is a great attribute, but not necessary to be an effective wr.

Being undersized a la Chrebet, is a completely different story.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:25 AM

A couple of late observations:

First, Hines Ward and James Farrior deserve consideration for the last question.

Second, Antonio Gates and Dwight Freeney are vastly underrated.

-Michael
Old 12-24-2004, 05:36 AM

How sweet would Bo Jackson be? That guy was a freaking athlete.