Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: PLO8, Flop play

Ok, here are the problems with the fullcontact poker discussion of this.

1. They have no discussion of pot odds in their thread at all.

2. They have not tried listing a range of hands that the opponent could have. All I’ve seen is one poster listing all the hand that Hero is BEHIND to, with no mention of any hands he is AHEAD OF. This is typical Monster Under the Bed thinking from newbie players.

3. They haven’t tried providing the weighted probabilities behind how likely those hands are to be dealt or be in opponents hands. Nor have they included an assessment of how likely an opponent is to have those hands, given how the action has unfolded. For example, how many opponents do you know who would NOT raise on the button preflop with AA35, AA23 or A234?

4. They have made fundamental errors about the quality of the opposition - especially assuming that your opponent is solid, when you are playing at the freaking $.5-1 level.

5. They provide few alternative options or recommendations on what you should do – they merely offer criticism. Only 1 reply suggested an action.

6. They clearly do not understand the concept of getting money in as a favorite. One poster actually planned to turn down an opportunity in a cash game where he admitted that he thought he was a favorite to wait for a better edge. Unreal weak-tight thinking.

7. They apparently have their nose firmly wedged up Smasharoo’s ass. A little critical thinking of their own would go a long way toward improving their play. Here’s a hint – if the number of posts claiming something is correct with no justification, or praising another poster outweigh discussion of pot odds, weighted hand probabilities, and so forth --- then it is simply not worth reading.

8. They make inaccurate assumptions about opponents. Claiming to have taken Wintermute for 40k is silly and misleading. Even if it was true, who cares WHO you lose or win to. If your bankroll has gone up tremendously from the games – as Wintermute’ apparently has -- , it really doesn’t matter where it came from.

I've seen good discussion on that site before, but you wouldn't know it from that thread.
--Greg
Old 09-19-2005, 09:35 PM

And please don't misunderstand my posting here as seeking approval for my play. I see no way to release my hand in the situation, and originally posted it to see if my raise is correct, or if a call is better.

I just don't like it when an egomaniac tries to berate my play.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Claiming to have taken Wintermute for 40k is silly and misleading.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who claimed to take 40k off me? That's a fair indication that whoever it is is completely full of sh!t. Nobody has won close to that much off me. Most any single player has won off me is around $6k, as proven by PTO stats, so unless this mystery person changed his screename over a half dozen times in the past 9 months, he's a liar (and probably lies about other results). If you feel like challenging him on this, just ask him to provide a screenshot of his PTO database with my name next to an entry of $40k. That ought to shut him up.

On the greater subject of this thread--perhaps a more conservative approach would be suitable for a game at huge stakes where you are guaranteed that every player is an excellent, rational player. But for a low limit party game, shoving on this flop is correct.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Smasharoo

[/ QUOTE ]

So greg isnt he rainaruby? It fits the profile you know.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 PM

I have been wondering who Rainaruby is. Anybody know? He/She plays a ton of hands at different levels, and is one of the tightest players (VP$P of 10) who plays so much. He/She wins, but sure as [censored] not off of me.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 PM

He came up last night when me, gergery, and emptyshell were playing a little NLHE... Gerg said he's the winningest player in his database, which was surprising to me because he's such a tight player. I looked him up, and sure enough, he's not that huge of a winner according to my numbers (which have a decent # of hands):

{{TOT HANDS: 13,271 - BB/100: 3.4
VP$IP: 13 - PFR: 2
WON: $4,046 - CR: 1.08
WSD: 23.9 - W$SD: 67.6}}

It looks like he's just a tight, unimaginative nut peddler, which will work fine but won't achieve the optimal winrate, IMO.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been wondering who Rainaruby is. Anybody know? He/She plays a ton of hands at different levels, and is one of the tightest players (VP$P of 10) who plays so much. He/She wins, but sure as [censored] not off of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I just avoid him all together, since he wont give action I go out of my way not to give him any action, but the bastard did suckout twice on me, a 4 outer and a running straight. But then again im a suckout magnet so what can I say.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 PM

I agree with the nut-peddler description. Very easy to chase, and if you don't succeed, you fold, pretty simple to deal with. He/She is a VERY surprising 17 BB/100 player in my database, but with only 1000 hands I can't say that is convincing to me that this is normal.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:44 AM

FYI, in my database, rainaruby 13k hands, +$391.49, +1.02 BB/100.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:23 PM

You should go read some the full contact poker threads. Smash has all the personality of Ribbo / Wintermute but with even less explanation.