Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: celeron vs pentium

[ QUOTE ]
I know a foolproof way to make ten million dollars a year playing internet poker, but the only advice I'm going to give on this particular forum is to do some research. There now, aren't you glad I posted this?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I suggested doing some research is simply because this is a poker related message board not a computer related one. I really do not think most people here would be that interested in a technical discussion about dram timings and latency settings to use with their memory.

Overclocking a computer is in simple terms running your parts beyond the manufacturer ratings. An example would be having a computer with a 2500 MHz chip running at 3200 MHz without frying itself or crashing. The memory chips and settings you use have something to do with this, so do more than a few other things. There are much better forums on the net for discussing these subjects. How many people here care about how many Amps they're getting out off the 12 volt rail of their power supply? How steady is it? Do you even know what brand of Power supply is in your computer? Do you really care? That should give you a little bit of an idea of why I suggested doing a little research.

To make it simple for you here is a link to my favorite computer forum Motherboards.org Go there and you can find out all you wanted to know and more. I post on that forum far more often than I do here, and even though I did not appreciate you trying to make fun of my advice I will be more than willing to help you if you post a legitimate question there.

Quite frankly if your to lazy to research the subject you have no business trying to overclock your computer you will just be asking for trouble. What I mean by trouble is you stand a good chance of ruining your computer and voiding any warranty you might have at the same time.

If you are truly interested come on over to the forum I linked to its a great place to discuss computer hardware and we always welcome everyone. Most of us who use that forum regularly are probably far too interested computers, but anyone from a novice to an expert will definitely get plenty of help and good advice.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Celeron's are missing cache which is one of the most important parts of the processor.
~CT

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Mobile Celeron CPUs have cache. See here
Old 11-22-2004, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Celeron's are missing cache which is one of the most important parts of the processor.
~CT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm Thats interesting. All the ones I saw had 256k of cache or some times 128k. If you can find of of these celeron's with 512k of cache then it would probably be an ok chip.

I guess it won't be an issue soon though. Intel thinks the celeron, P4, and centrino are too confusing so they're dumping the celeron.

~CT
Old 11-22-2004, 01:58 PM

Do not skimp on a laptop. Grab pentium 4 for sure. I've had mine year now and it can still handle anything.

A couple of months ago my roommate picked up a celeron for "just poker" and curses it every day. Everything from the internet wireless card, to the processer, display.

He regrets not going all out on the laptop and I am extremely happy I went all out. I feel its worth the extra grand to get the best.

HINT - In dealing with laptops, get the biggest and best warranty.

outs
Old 11-22-2004, 02:08 PM

That was an excellent, informative and interesting post--just filled with useful info--just what I was hoping for--Thank You!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~CT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm Thats interesting. All the ones I saw had 256k of cache or some times 128k. If you can find of of these celeron's with 512k of cache then it would probably be an ok chip.

I guess it won't be an issue soon though. Intel thinks the celeron, P4, and centrino are too confusing so they're dumping the celeron.

~CT

[/ QUOTE ]

Something didn't sit right so I checked the link again when I had time. The Link you provided was for the Pentium M celeron. the M is a totally different processor. If its clocked over 1.5Ghz then its _NOT_ an M and is not worth your time. The Pentium M celerons are actually decent processors though.

summary:
new celeron >1.5 Ghz = bad
new celeron <1.5 Ghz = Good
new pentium M = better (best in my opinion)
new pentium 4 = better (ok but bad about power)

~CT

EDIT: typo
Old 11-22-2004, 06:06 PM

Can I be your adopted nephew?

i currently have openings only for towelboy and foot masseur. pls send a resume with attached nudes for consideration.

depending upon how you.. umm.. perform, i have been known to give 1600X1200 monitors as x-mas bonuses.

thanks jim, i'll keep an eye on my IN-BOX.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:12 PM

I would go ahead and let Dell put in the extra memory, that way if you had problems later they couldn't use that as an out for why you are having a problem.

good point, but too late. i think it shipped today. however, i have a friend that will install it and promises he won't fuk it up.

thx everyone for the feedback
Old 11-22-2004, 06:37 PM

It's definitely not an M.

[ QUOTE ]
new celeron >1.5 Ghz = bad

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say bad, I would just say it's only suitable for word processing, surfing the web, playing MP3s, watching DVDs, and of course minesweeper.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:41 PM

After your friend installs the memory, have him/her run a memory tester, like from: http://www.memtest86.com/ It will test the memory just installed and will save you hassles. I just installed some new memory and it took me a day to figure out that it was bad.