Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Moving between limits - question for top players

6 max
Old 09-16-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 max

[/ QUOTE ]
so you get in 95hands/table X 4 tables = 380 hands/hr?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the interface on Party.
The games go much slower.
The average action per hand is less, since there are way more underbets vs. UB pot bets.

However, the games are WAY better. If I played on Party, I would almost surely make more than I make on UB. I just find the games less fun. If I were playing for a living, I would definitely multi Party games.

For me, poker is something I do to make money AND have fun AND keep myself mentally challenged to some degree. UB games do all three of those things, Party games mainly satisfy just one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be too nosy I hope...but why dont you play for a living diablo? Sounds like your a 400/hr guy if you drop down to party 2k. If you only get 30 hr a week, thats 600k a year. If you hit it hard, obviously more lucrative than just about anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because playing 30 hrs a week of multi-table online poker is very low on the list of things I'd like to do with my life.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because playing 30 hrs a week of multi-table online poker is very low on the list of things I'd like to do with my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your job/business?

alot of people spend 1/3-1/2 of that time just going to and from their job. for professions not involving naked women, poker has to be near the top.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerLizard: You've played in the biggest game in the world against billionaire banker Andy Beal, how do you put the size of those blinds out of your thoughts and play your best?

Todd Brunson: To me in poker, a bet is a bet. Be it $5 or $500,000. People are often surprised to see me play hard when I play $2-$4 but I am a competitor and I play to win. A $2 bet is still a bet and I treat it as such. By the same token a $200,000 is still just a bet, nothing more nothing less. If you say to yourself "well this bet is just $4, I'll call with no pair and no draw" you will lose in the long run. It's the same at the other end of the spectrum. If someone bets $100,000 and you say to yourself "Well...I have a flush and I'm pretty sure it's good and I know I'm supposed to call but the bet is $100,000 and that's just too much" you will also lose.

Worry about the dollar amounts before and after you play. In the game. Bets are just units.

[/ QUOTE ]

From PokerLizard
Old 09-16-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your job/business?

alot of people spend 1/3-1/2 of that time just going to and from their job. for professions not involving naked women, poker has to be near the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily, it's starting and running software companies.

This discussion has happened many times on these forums, but there are imo many much more interesting and potentially much more profitable opportunities for people who are smart enough to do really well at poker (really well being arbitrary, but let's say $500k/yr). For other people who have the capability to do OK but not great at poker, poker right now is probably a very good choice and quite possibly their best shot at making over $100k/yr.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM

Not to hijack my own thread or anything, but I saw this and immediately afterwards thought of you arod15. Probably because of your location. Enjoy: Arod15: "jessica alba how u doin"
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM

when I was younger, a day job was just a source of money for me, that's it. most people that use the term "day job" feel this way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. now that I'm real old and stuff, I've started thinking more about it and being a little more particular about what exactly I am spending 8 or so hours a day doing.

for me, I wouldn't be happy spending that much of my life playing poker. I also decided I wouldn't be happy spending that much of my time doing what I'm currently doing, so I'm taking some time off and a long road trip to figure things out.
--turnipmonster
Old 09-16-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when I was younger, a day job was just a source of money for me, that's it. most people that use the term "day job" feel this way . now that I'm real old and stuff, I've started thinking more about it and being a little more particular about what exactly I am spending 8 or so hours a day doing.

for me, I wouldn't be happy spending that much of my life playing poker. I also decided I wouldn't be happy spending that much of my time doing what I'm currently doing, so I'm taking some time off and a long road trip to figure things out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone says this, and I agree it doesn't sound fun to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. But when I thought about doing it, part of me realized it would be a means to an end, not a permanent thing. I ended up not going that route, but I can't help but think how "nice" a lifestyle like that could be in your early 20s. No boss, no 9-5, no suit. More money than any of your friends. Go out when you want, how you want, where you want. Total freedom. Vacation, you name it. It seems like a fantastic thing to do from say 22 - 28. As long as individuals are intelligent , motivated and rational, most people would be hard pressed to find a better job at this age. The problem is that it wouldn't stimulate me enough, poker is monotonous. The money is great but then what? Absolutely nothing.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The money is great but then what? Absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

this rings true for any job.