Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 6 vs. 11
Eagles 65 48.51%
Van Halen 69 51.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Another Preflop Poll

the problem is that some of these "crap" hands they're limping with us will fare better postflop. T9o on the button still has 2 overcards on us, has position, and can make straights. you're really only making real money off the hands you dominate here

and fwiw I agree with everyone else. TT is an easy raise, 88 is an easy check, and 99 could really go either way
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too but I'm an aspiring LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing looser and more aggressive preflop isn't just about raising more. it's about putting extra (compared to what's "standard") money in the pot in the right situations. this is typically with position (maybe some marginal limps on the button, or raising a mediocre hand in the cutoff to gain position and intiative, and increase your chances of taking it down) or some loose calls in the blinds where your pot odds ( [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]) are big which magnifies the value of your implied odds.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Option 3: it doesn't make much difference at all.

I vote for #3.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that some of these "crap" hands they're limping with us will fare better postflop. T9o on the button still has 2 overcards on us, has position, and can make straights. you're really only making real money off the hands you dominate here

and fwiw I agree with everyone else. TT is an easy raise, 88 is an easy check, and 99 could really go either way

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, it really has to do with the odds of having an overpair on the flop.

With 88, there are 24 cards in 50 that are overcards. Odds of 88 being the overpair are about 1/8.

With 99, odds are 1/5.

With TT, odds are about 3/10.

At 30%, I'm easily raising TT since I have a good shot of having an overpair. And there's less chance of 2 overcards coming, which is a real killer.

Faced with multiple limpers, even SH, I'd rather play TT in a OOP in a bloated pot than 88. With 88 you really need a good flop AND you need people to fold on the flop. Tough to do that OOP with a bloated pot.