Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 07:00 AM

Default OK yur a great mtt player....

A few days ago i poste requesting help in accumulating alot of chips early in a tourney something i see great tourney players( on UB my home site) do quite often. I got back one response telling me that players dont consistently 2ble or 3ple up within 45 min but im telling i watch these players and they actually do!! another two posts where devoted to my misuse of the word too as opposed to to lol..
I'm really dissapointed in the response as i was told this forum was really an outlet of good players who liked to discuss real poker.
So the question still is how do yu accumulate 2-3-4x yur buyinb in the first hour??
Old 11-01-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: OK yur a great mtt player....

[ QUOTE ]
So the question still is how do yu accumulate 2-3-4x yur buyinb in the first hour??

[/ QUOTE ]

There are actually two ways:
1. Get two cards. At some point in the hand click the right part of the screen that makes all your little chip thingys go into the middle of the "table". Wait to see if there is another one or two or three players that do the same. Wait a few seconds (you will see some other cards come up in the middle of the table). Sometimes you will see all the chips that everyone put in the middle with "slide" towards your "player". This means that you doubled (or tripled, or whatever).

2. Play in a rebuy tourney and take the rebuy.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Cool it.....

I am going to give you a reasonable answer to your query however your cynicism is not well received.

In MTT's your best bet is to limp as often as possible when the blinds are low compared to the chip stacks when you have playable hands (medium suited connectors, pocket pairs, suited aces etc.). Just take a 'hit it or fold it' approach after the flop. This will give you the best chance to get ahead, however you will have times where you just dwindle yourself off to nothing (I just finished a tourney on party where I had 10 medium pocket pairs in the first two rounds and didn't win a single pot with them, I finished poorly as you might guess).

Tournaments are high variance, meaning there is a significant luck factor, especially early. With this strategy you will bust out early often, but if you win a few pots early you can build a stack and be able to steal blinds in the middle stages of the event.

The alternative to limping a lot is to wait for something like a top-5 hand and try to double up, but that doesn't always come and when it does a lot of time you get no action when you have a tight table image.

There is a wealth of information on the site, and I would highly suggest you refrain from pissing off the respected posters on this forum. This topic has been discussed with relative frequency (I actually started a thread on it recently). The point is before you post use the search function and see if your question has already been answered. No one likes repeating themselves.

PG
Old 11-01-2004, 11:11 AM

Sossman might be kind of harsh, but you are asking a question that would take hours to give a remotely acceptable answer.

What you could do is push all-in anytime you figure to be a 51% or better favorite. You could also just play good poker and get as many chips in the pot when you are a huge favorite (65% or better).

--Casey
Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM

They usually do 2 things. They are patient and they don't throw away their chips by chasing.

Wait for some nutty type hands. Pocket pairs, suited Aces. If you hit the flop, then roll with it, otherwise check and fold.

****Side note*** Lot's of players double or triple up in the first hour but very few of them ever finish in the money. This usually has something to do with their reckless play.