Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-10-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Amazing fish

Played with a fish this morning that just blew my mind.

Limps in with every good hand, AA to TT, AK to AJ.

Never bets the flop even heads up with TPTK.

ONLY when she has 2 pair or better does she bet/raise. This player had me totally confused. Never seen a text book example of a LPP before in my life like this one. Hello buddy list. Took me about 20 mins to figure her out.

Never seen anyone like this before. If I had the hands she had I would have doubled up in 30 mins. Only thing I could do is continue betting till she raised. And no matter how rediculous the board was if she raised I had to fold unless I had 2 pair or better.

Question is vs this type of player you just keep betting till they raise and pretty much fold unless you have a real good hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Amazing fish

I lost 7 almost identicle hands HU against a calling station the other night. He was so transparent, but hit the cards. Basically, he was a 75/5/0.3. He called every flop and folded the turn without a pair, called down with any pair. 7 times this happened:-

I raise preflop, he cold calls to my left and we are HU.
I miss the flop and have 2 overcards; i bet it, he calls. This means he has 2 cards.
I miss the turn and bet, he calls.
I check fold the river UI.

This really frustrated me, yet I am happy with my play. I had to bet the turn, as if I checked it, I had noticed that he would always bet when checked to HU.

From the flop it was costing me 1.5BB to win ~3BB when he didn't hit anything. Easily +EV.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:33 AM

Yup players like that are the best because they are predictable. I folded quite a few times to a raise with TP even on the turn or river because this woman simply DID NOT BLUFF. Once she checked a flop of Ac8d3d with AQ and last to act. I bet the turn when the J came down because I had JQ in the BB she just called. Only raising me on the river when the 2nd A hit. I called wondering WTF does she have. After that is when it all made sense. I think you have the better of it with your guy though. 75/5/0.3 means he at least raises with premium and you are not digging your own grave when they hold hands like KK or AK vs your KQ. This lady was 50/0/.5

She never raised PF and many times didnt bet the flop with TP TK. I was in shock. But hey just gotta adjust.

There was another player at the table that whenever he made a pair he bet. Like a board of A Q 9 7 and he had 75 he would bet the turn being 1st to act. Wow was all I could say. I had not played with players this bad in a while that it took me by surprise and I had to readjust. All were passive calling stations. So used to LAGs and TAGs and normal fish. Well Im off to my live 7card tournament [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 PM

The other day I sat to the right of one player whose play was so formulaic and bad that I openly speculated that he was a badly-written bot (he eventually replied in broken English that this wasn't the case [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

--He played about 80% of hands preflop, making no distinction of how many bets it was to him.
--He check-called virtually every street, folding on the turn only with no pair/no draw (as best I could tell).
--The only street he would voluntarily bet is the river, but only when checked to and when he had a made hand.
--I didn't see him raise once. I actually have some doubt he would even raise with the nuts, but didn't get the opportunity to see this.

It was a particularly frustrating session because I couldn't make any money off him. A typical hand: I limp with A3s, he calls, flop comes A83, I bet the whole way, he calls the whole way and shows down A8. I bang head on table.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Last night at the Wynn I played with a guy that had pocket Ks. Flopped his set. Turned a full house. Yet he didn't bet or raise once.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:26 PM

WOW. Even when I didn't know how to play I knew trips was good enough to raise. We will never understand the motives behind these types of players. But its good they are there.

Not sure if they play scared or just want to get along like many books say.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 AM

Just tonight I had a sweet little 15/30 HU session with a LPP. He saw every flop and turn and never raised preflop. He called down with almost anything and would only raise if he had TP.

I love when you 'figure out' exactly how people play. Tells you how much information you really infer over 30 or so hands.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:08 PM

I was playing live the other day and this guy check called Quads.. I looked at him and laughed.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:10 PM

I'm playing NL ring game, folded to me in CO+1, I raise with AQo. BB calls. flop is Qxx, BB checks, I bet pot, he calls. Turn in A, he checks, I bet pot, he calls all-in, shows two jacks. Jack comes on river. He continued to show my raises and bets no respect throughout the session, calling with horrible hands in horrible position, easily dominated hands, etc. Thank god people like this reload after they continue to misplay hands. I made four times the buy-in off that guy alone during this session after recouping what I lost on that hand. People like this are not capable of changing gears and varying their play during a session. Once you figure them out, you can exploit them the entire session.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM

I see that all the time, I always wonder if they realize they will never be a winning player if they don't learn how to get value from there hands. Yet they just seem happy to sit there making small victorys and slowly getting blinded away.