Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: My new sleep schedule, implementing today

I really can't see this being a good idea. you're missing out on REM sleep, which is pretty important. but like you said you may be able to adapt to it. the human body is pretty amazing in that way.

one of my friends tried to become nocturnal for a semester. it consisted of him taking two naps of three-four hours during the day. he said he constantly felt like a zombie, and didn't readjust until christmas break when he had to work a few 40-hour weeks. the first week back was hell, because he needed to get back into the cycle.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Old 12-04-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you will not get enough deep sleep, which is the part that you need the most. So when you're awake you'll still be tired and wont be able to do as much that you want. You'll become grumpy too.

Just be human, and take those 7-8 hours a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure this will be true during the first few days. But as my body adjusts I should start dreaming during every 2 hour session. It worked for Da Vinci and he only slept 20 minutes at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly Thomas Edison didn't sleep at all.

But actually, it was found out that he took many short naps of 10 or 20 minutes or more throughout the day. He apparently didn't discourage the idea that he never slept.

I expect you may be vulnerable to stories like these of how you can change your natural genetic human patterns. If you try, you'll doubtlessly have many hazy waking hours where you feel far less than energetic, and be taking lots of naps.

For what it's worth, I've known a few people who have tried to be clever with sleep in such ways. They all looked at least 20 years older than their real ages. It beat the hell out of their bodies, and I'll be surprised if they don't die much younger than they should and live with less health. They also didn't seem to have a lot of joy or energy in their lives.

The fact that you're even trying this seems to me to indicate a lack of focus and an unhealthy search for panaceas or magical approaches or solutions to life. This is very not good.

If you want more energy and productivity, work out and get fresh air, eat and drink better and cleaner and keep the boozing very moderate, cut way back on the caffeine or drop it, drop smoking if you smoke, drink more water, read more books and watch less t.v., and cultivate your concentration and good attitude and mental hygiene. Clear your mind of crap to the best of your ability. Don't go searching for more to pack in there unless it's going to be very high quality. And get enough normal sleep.

Unless you want to look like a reasonably healthy 65 when you hit 40.