Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: I found $640: now what?

If the bank keeps the money call the police. It is more your money than theirs. I think a pretty solid case can be made that they are stealing it from you. They have no right to it. You at least have the right of possesion (and finders keepers).
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM

But that significantly decreases the chance that the owner would come and claim it... who would go to a police station 2 miles away if they were sure they dropped their cash at the bank?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the bank keeps the money call the police. It is more your money than theirs. I think a pretty solid case can be made that they are stealing it from you. They have no right to it. You at least have the right of possesion (and finders keepers).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, eff that. Either your friend doesn't know what she's talking about or banks are more corrupt than I thought. This is a [censored] policy.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 AM

A guy at work just talked to a friend of his that was a teller. This guy said the same thing as my friend, that the bank has just as much a claim to it as I do and they now have possession. This ex-teller said that when things like this happened at his bank, the manager would just brush the finder off by saying someone claimed it.

I am pretty discouraged right now, not only in my prospects, but with people in general.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A guy at work just talked to a friend of his that was a teller. This guy said the same thing as my friend, that the bank has just as much a claim to it as I do and they now have possession. This ex-teller said that when things like this happened at his bank, the manager would just brush the finder off by saying someone claimed it.

I am pretty discouraged right now, not only in my prospects, but with people in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong. I'm pissed off and I have no skin in this game. WTF? People [censored] suck. Sorry dude. You do the right thing and are getting dry-[censored] here.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But that significantly decreases the chance that the owner would come and claim it... who would go to a police station 2 miles away if they were sure they dropped their cash at the bank?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the brilliance of the plan. You do the right thing by turning in the money and will most likely get to keep it.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Do you know where the bank manager's kids go to school? Maybe try kidnapping them.

but that sucks man, people are awful
Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Another update: I was thinking that my best chance of recovering the money would now be to have my girlfriend call up and claim it. I don't think this is too bad, since the rightful owner would have claimed it by now. Teller friends say that the bank sometimes checks the account activity for the day in question and would be much, much more reticent to hand it over if things didn't add up.

One teller friend also says that my best choices are to try to make some quasi-legal statement, saying that I was told the money would be mine if it went unclaimed, and that I handed it over in good faith with that expectation, or to find the teller I originally gave it to and try to get her to hand it over.

So it looks like its a crapshoot. I am trying to decide what to do, but right now I'm leaning towards causing a big scene when I go on Saturday. My girlfriend is a pretty bad liar.

Again, I am pretty saddened by this whole thing.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just talked to a friend who worked at a bank for a couple years. She said that the bank has a sort of miscellaneous fund used for various expenses. Found money goes in this, as does extra money they can't account for at the end of the day. She said that there is a good chance the bank will keep the money I turned in and put it in this fund, saying that I don't really have a right to it.

Has anyone worked at a bank before? Does this sort of thing happen? If so, can I work out some ways to pressure them into handing the money over, wage some sort of PR campaign?

[/ QUOTE ]

While it's common in many businesses, banks should not keep petty cash on hand. It is pretty poor cash management policy.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just talked to a friend who worked at a bank for a couple years. She said that the bank has a sort of miscellaneous fund used for various expenses. Found money goes in this, as does extra money they can't account for at the end of the day. She said that there is a good chance the bank will keep the money I turned in and put it in this fund, saying that I don't really have a right to it.

Has anyone worked at a bank before? Does this sort of thing happen? If so, can I work out some ways to pressure them into handing the money over, wage some sort of PR campaign?

[/ QUOTE ]

While it's common in many businesses, banks should not keep petty cash on hand. It is pretty poor cash management policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

As for the money, it's no surprise to me that some shade-hole teller at the bank would keep this money and tell you that someone claimed it. How can you prove that someone didn't? I would bet that she didn't even tell her manager about it...she probably just pocketed it. Yes, people suck. I don't think they'd go to the instant replay camera to try to identify whose money it really is.

Sending your GF is an interesting idea, but then they'll probably say that "nobody turned in any lost money." Sorry.

ScottieK