Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-31-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: DC & Minneapolis residents please help

Can't speak for MN, but if you like the ratrace, DC/NOVA is the place to be. Only to be surpassed by NYC.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-I like snow and cold and don't like it when it gets much hotter than 90 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

>90 degree days don't happen often in DC,

[/ QUOTE ]

What? That's like every other day from May/June to August/September.

-d
Old 10-31-2005, 12:40 AM

You're more likely to get killed by terrorists in DC. (You asked for factors you hadn't considered.)
Old 10-31-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-I like snow and cold and don't like it when it gets much hotter than 90 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

According to CityRating.com , the average temperature is only 75.6 in the hottest month, and only above 90 degrees 29 days per year, and I doubt very many of those days are higher than 95.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After considering many possible cities DC/N.Virginia/Maryland & Minneapolis/St.Paul are my two finalists.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 AM

I live in NoVa. I pay $1000 for a 600 sq ft apt. I got effed because I had 2 days to find an apt when I moved here but that's not totally out of line here. There are a lot of 2p2ers in DC but there's no "real" live [censored]. DC does not get that cold, it doesn't snow until January and stops in March (I went to school in upstate NY so that is a mild winter to me). Summers, it's above 90 from June to October.

Don't know what you wnat in a social life, but unless you're an uptight wannabe politician DC probably doesn't have it. I wouldn't recommend this city to my worst enemy.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

According to CityRating.com , the average temperature is only 75.6 in the hottest month, and only above 90 degrees 29 days per year, and I doubt very many of those days are higher than 95.

[/ QUOTE ]

29 days per year? That's a third of your summer. I wouldn't call that "not happening very often".
Old 10-31-2005, 09:57 PM

Thanks everybody for your responses. I will try to touch on all your comments and questions in one post.

Many of you commented on the GF being the only thing keeping me from moving to Minny. Yes, she is a factor but my sister and old roomate are bigger influences. I have some friends in Minnesota, however moving to DC were I have 2 people I'm close with is important.

What general factors was I looking for in a new city that I did not mention?
-Fairly large city
-Somewhere were I already had friends
-Lots of young people (I'm 25)
-Sports (Profesional to watch & rec leagues to play in)
-Fairly Clean (I was amazed by the cleanliness of DC's Metro)
-Low crime for a big city (I haven't seen any of the sketchier parts of DC but I'm sure they exist. Do you DC residents feel safe in most areas?)
-Low cost of living compared to income (I know DC dosen't really fit this factor)
-I'm not really a club person, much bigger fan of brewpubs/smaller dive bar type places. I went to the RFD after a Capitols game and loved it. Really looking forward to going to Town Hall in Minnesota.

Some questions after reading your replies:
-A couple of people mentioned Minnesota's music scene. This is a big plus. I'm a big fan of going to smaller clubs and seeing unknown bands, can anybody comment on DC's music scene?
-Minnesota's winters won't be a problem for me. I went to school for 5 years in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so I know all about long cold winters.
-I hadn't thought about proximity to big cities. This is a plus for DC. However I can drive from Minny to my college, which I do still visit from time to time.
-Some asked about my career goals. I have an accounting/finance degree and nearly 2 years experience with a large leasing company. I'm not exactlly sure what I want to do, but this should open a lot of doors for me in accounting, leasing or banking.
-As for the GF. We've had a good relationship and have been through a lot. I don't think either one of us are ready to end it, moving to Minnesota may do that.

Two additional questions:
DC Residents-I'm pretty apathetic about politics. How much does it come up in your day to day life? Will I be able to live without really caring about politics?

Minnesota residents-Do any of you own condos? It looks like I should be able to find a decent 1 bedroom for around 180k. Does this sound about right?

Thanks again to everybody who took the time to read and reply.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 PM

For DC:

-Fairly large city
Check

-Somewhere were I already had friends
Check

-Lots of young people (I'm 25)
Check

-Sports (Profesional to watch & rec leagues to play in)
Check

-Fairly Clean (I was amazed by the cleanliness of DC's Metro)
Check

-Low crime for a big city (I haven't seen any of the sketchier parts of DC but I'm sure they exist. Do you DC residents feel safe in most areas?)
I have never felt unsafe. I haven't been to the absolute worst parts but I end up in bad areas at night and never feel out of place. You just know how to handle yourself and not be stupid.

-Low cost of living compared to income (I know DC dosen't really fit this factor)
Nope

Some questions after reading your replies:
-A couple of people mentioned Minnesota's music scene. This is a big plus. I'm a big fan of going to smaller clubs and seeing unknown bands, can anybody comment on DC's music scene?
DC gets pretty much any band on tour. There are really only two places for smaller shows: 9:30 club which gets mid-range stuff (http://www.930.com) and Black Cat which gets really small and local bands.

-I hadn't thought about proximity to big cities. This is a plus for DC. However I can drive from Minny to my college, which I do still visit from time to time.
DC is awesome for this. Chinatown bus is $35 roundtrip to NYC. Baltimore is 1 hour although I don't know why you'd go there. The beaches in the summer in the area are great also.

DC Residents-I'm pretty apathetic about politics. How much does it come up in your day to day life? Will I be able to live without really caring about politics?
Never. Yes.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know what you wnat in a social life, but unless you're an uptight wannabe politician DC probably doesn't have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go out quite often in DC, (I live in MD), I hate politics, and dont understand why you would think the social life revolves around politics? The night life is great in DC. The only thing I would have to say is the places could stay open later into the night.

Georgetown has plenty of bars, restaurants and places to go out to. If you dont like the "psuedo-upscale" places on M-street, go to Mid-town or Adams Morgan. If these places dont suite your need, Alrington (just outside DC) has pretty much anything you want. There are plenty of college grads living in and around Arlington, with plenty of bars for every type of fancy.