Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-27-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Most Effective Flop Betting Amount?

When it comes to certain situations regarding in position bets on the flop (when you raised preflop), what percentage of the pot do you bet?

I see alot of people continuation betting 100% of the pot, and I can't understand why from an equity standpoint. A 50-70% pot bet on the flop, will acheive "nearly" the same result, and cost much less equity when called.

The only times I personally think a full pot bet is warranted is when you hold a strong hand, and there are numerous draws to better hands on the board.
Much of no-limit is about pot control, and it just seems like potting it "can" be counterproductive to that goal.

I understand if you bet 50-70% of the pot as a continuation bet, you must always bet 50-70% of the pot. As so that amount has become a pretty standard amount for me, except for when I beleive i'm against draws or hold a strong draw such as an OESFD.

So basically I'm wondering what everybodies favorite amount, and whether or not I should be potting it much more than I actually am.

Edit: I realize alot of this is dependent on your opponent's playstyle.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Most Effective Flop Betting Amount?

[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to certain situations regarding in position bets on the flop (when you raised preflop), what percentage of the pot do you bet?

I see alot of people continuation betting 100% of the pot, and I can't understand why from an equity standpoint. A 50-70% pot bet on the flop, will acheive "nearly" the same result, and cost much less equity when called.

The only times I personally think a full pot bet is warranted is when you hold a strong hand, and there are numerous draws to better hands on the board.
Much of no-limit is about pot control, and it just seems like potting it "can" be counterproductive to that goal.

I understand if you bet 50-70% of the pot as a continuation bet, you must always bet 50-70% of the pot. As so that amount has become a pretty standard amount for me, except for when I beleive i'm against draws or hold a strong draw such as an OESFD.

So basically I'm wondering what everybodies favorite amount, and whether or not I should be potting it much more than I actually am.

[/ QUOTE ]

A full pot bet is good to see if you're beat.

For instance, you've got JJ on an 865 board. If you pot it and get raised, you're probably done with this hand.

Full pot also will help you run over a passive table, particularly shorthanded.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For instance, you've got JJ on an 865 board. If you pot it and get raised, you're probably done with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your just as likely to get trapped by a flopped straight who just calls your pot bet on the flop, not revealing enough information to you on where you stand with this hand. I'd probaly bet 60% of the pot and show slight weakness to anyone with top or middle pair so I can extract more value on later streets while they draw to less 5 outs.
This also keeps the pot smaller so it's easier to fold an overpair on a scary board, when you feel your beat.

Say the same situation occurs, except you raise PF with AK you get 2 callers: flop comes 865 and they check it to you on the flop. Whats your favorite continuation bet amount here?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your just as likely to get trapped by a flopped straight who just calls your pot bet on the flop, not revealing enough information to you on where you stand with this hand. I'd probaly bet 60% of the pot and show slight weakness to anyone with top or middle pair so I can extract more value on later streets while they draw to less 5 outs.
This also keeps the pot smaller so it's easier to fold an overpair on a scary board, when you feel your beat.

Say the same situation occurs, except you raise PF with AK you get 2 callers: flop comes 865 and they check it to you on the flop. Whats your favorite continuation bet amount here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing in a poker site without a bet pot button, then most bets from most players will be less than pot-sized. A full pot-sized bet is often a sign of strength (or a bluff). So when someone sees a full pot-sized bet and is holding a monster, they will usually believe that their opponent has a strong enough hand that they can be paid off, and they will raise rather than slow-playing.

If you make it 2/3 pot and get called by the dude with a straight, and the turn blanks, you are probably betting again, and you're going to lose more money with those two bets than had you made the one larger flop bet and gotten raised right there.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:24 AM

Even if i played at UB, or a site with a pot button- I'd still prefer a smaller than pot bet.

Depending on the board and position, don't automatically assume i'll fire again on the turn/river.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:50 AM

Fullpot bet have 3 advantages :
-it makes many opponents play honestly vs you cause they think that potbet must be something really serious

-Generally big bets allow you to bluff more because its more expensive to call. For example : You raise , Villain calls , flop : Q75 Villain have 76.. If you only bet here with say : AA/KK/JJ/1010/99/AQ/KQ and say AK/AJ Villain is in more difficult situation after big bet than he is after small one. He can often profitably call the latter but not the former(like in limit call is nobrainer). In other words bigbets allow you to bluff more often profitably

-It builds the pot. You can burn money on the flop by betting all the time but if you are better than your opponents you will force them to more costly/difficult decision on the turn and make up for it

That being said I have no idea what the correct bet for diffrent situations is .. I am still experimenting

Best wishes

EDIT: to correct some spelling
Old 11-27-2005, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said I have no idea what the correct bet for diffrent situations is .. I am still <font color="red"> experimencing. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope your still experimencing with english as well.

Just Kidding.

edit: sorry couldn't help myself
Old 11-27-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That being said I have no idea what the correct bet for diffrent situations is .. I am still <font color="red"> experimencing. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-27-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 AM

There are other considerations than just what you are mentioning, pot vs stack size particularly out of position is a key one that you should be aware of.