Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 02-14-2005, 02:40 PM

Default I got schooled last night

Live 2/5 NL game and I am heads up against agains big stack with at least $2000 I have about $450. THere is $47 in pot. I have not play with this player before but seems very aggresive.

I am first to act with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $20 thinking he will certainly reraise but he only calls.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check knowing he will bet for sure which he does. He bets $40 and I reraise to $120 which he calls. I figure he has got to be on a club draw or has a ten. I clearly have shown him that I have minimum of trip 10's.

River

3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

This is were it went into the shitter for me. What to do???
I checked and he moved all in and I folded. I turned to grab my beer and take a big swig as he throws his AK down in front of me. I was pretty pissed that he taunted me by tossing his cards two players down so that I could clearly see the bluff. If he wanted to show he should have kept them in front of him. I thought it was a bullshit punk move on his part.

He lost his entire stack when he again bluffed another flush card came on the river against a gut who filled up. I said caught with your hand in the cookie jar one to many times and he called me a f--ker and left broke.

I am thinking maybe I should have bet at least half my remaining stack on the river to show that I was pot commited to eliminate a bluff attempt. How could I have played this better?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: I got schooled last night

your turn play kills you, either check-call or bet out, you define your hand too well, villian doubts you are tricky and will c/r with a flush draw, you really open yourself up for such a play on the river.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 PM

mistake 1) on the flop u lead out for $20 into a $47 dollar pot. With this type of bet i feel you are only asking you opponent to come over top of you on later street. Anyways
mistake 2) When he lead out and bet the turn. i think its either a push or fold situation. I dont understand the raise and what you got out of it.

I think you played the hand to passively. If you think you oppenent has a higher 10, then you should have abandoned the hand on the turn. If not, this is clearly a push. After all, u already have half ur stack in the pot. I dont see how you can lay this down.
on the river, u were once agian aking your oppenent to bluff you. i think ur best line woudl be to push the turn once a non-club fell.

polo
Old 02-14-2005, 03:15 PM

How did you wind up heads up with $47 in the pot with T9o in a 2/5 NL game? I don't see how you could get into this situation without bad preflop play.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:53 PM

I agree!! Should have pushed allin on the turn. If he has A10, K10, Q10 so be it. Better to go down swinging than to be outplayed when club comes on river.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:13 PM

If you are pretty confident in your understanding that the opponent is an aggressor, I do not see how you can fold the river to a known bluffer. Second, his all in river bet appears as a complete bluff...I think that he would value bet the river with a flush, especially if he puts you on trips.

I am still unsure as to how you got involved with this hand preflop. I am hoping it was either a late position limp, or an attempt to steal the blinds.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:36 PM

The consensus is that you should of pushed the turn, and I agree with that if you put your opponent on a club draw, or at the very least the club draw scared you enough to lay your hand down. As the hand turned out the best move was to play it the way you did except call the All in bet, but it sounds like you didn't have a good enough read. But if you knew the player was agressive it would make sense for him to play the scare card. I think your biggest mistake was opening your mouth as the guy left, you should have saved your information for a future date when you played with that guy, and when a similar situation came along bust his ass.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:05 PM

don't be so [censored] passive! GOD!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't be so [censored] passive! GOD!

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not playing passively, he check-raised the turn for a large amount of money, and opponent called a paired board with ace high no draw. Opponent is just super-LAG and playing the player.

You gained a lot of information with this hand. Against this guy you're clearly going to make a lot checking the river to him and snapping off his bluffs.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:12 AM

A lot of responders here are reacting to the results. You should ahve posted them later or separately.

I don't think pushing the turn is a good idea. He would for instance have folded his hand, and most other losing hands. He will call you with all hands that beat you.

I don;t think you played this that badly. You should at least sometimes call on the river, how often is debatable. The fact is sometimes you will lay down the best hand, but against this kind of guy you will make money when he bluffs and you have the goods.