Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Call River with AQo Unimproved?

It's been a good night. Running up against a lot of solid 2nd best hands. I've been quiet for several orbits up until this hand.

Pre-flop and flop are standard for me. On the flop I meant to bet 6 but the mouse slider jumped back to 5 when I clicked.

I'm curious about opinions on the turn and river.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($40.70)
UTG+1 ($128.60)
MP1 ($127.30)
MP2 ($40)
Hero ($326.95)
Button ($153.20)
SB ($18)
BB ($104.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $3.

Flop: ($9.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP2 calls $5.

Turn: ($19.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($19.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $29.50
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Call River with AQo Unimproved?

I don't think it matter much. If you plan on hanging around the table for a couple more hours, I'm inclined to call this.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:11 AM

I don't like a call at all. I don't think you have the best hand which means you either raise or fold. I'd guess he probably has some sort of pair here. (maybe a draw--but I think more likely a pair)
Old 12-02-2005, 03:17 AM

He doesn't look like the sort I want to be bluffing off pots. Figure a call has a -EV of $3-4ish at worst. Small price to show that you will showdown with Ace high.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:17 AM

Id fold here, but in retrospect I feel you should have played a litte more agressively PF and on flop.

4BB+1limper = 5$ (probably wouldn't change much)

and I honestly HATE betting 1/2 pot, even as a cont. bet, just because people are so inclined to stick around with draws. Hell, if I had an OESD or a 4flush and someone bets 1/2 pot into me on flop, I usually call if we have decent stack sizes. 3:1 ~ 4:1 plus this is NL to implied odds = your stack becomes mine when I hit

but yeah, fold
Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 AM

Ok, river call is definitely umm... 'iffy'. There were a few reasons I did it. I had great odds, 5:1 to advertize, see his hand, and possibly win if I'm lucky. Plus, don't you think a $5 bet into a $20 pot is a little weak?

For those of you who think I'm behind, the real question is how often am I behind here? I need to be good one-sixth of the time to break even on this call. If I'm good one in twelve (8.3%), I'm only losing $2.50 per call and I get the side benefits mentioned above.

As I said in the original post, my usual continuation bet is 6 (into 8.50 or 9.50), but I did 5 by accident. Should I be betting $7 here?

I'd still like to know who bets this turn and who doesn't.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like a call at all. I don't think you have the best hand which means you either raise or fold. I'd guess he probably has some sort of pair here. (maybe a draw--but I think more likely a pair)

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of times you can only call on the river even when you think you have the best hand. Your logic is faulty. If you have the best hand but he will not pay you off, a raise ears you nothing - and if it turns out that you didn't actually have the best hand, it costs you.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 AM

I bet 7 and then quit the hand when he calls. I feel he has a pair.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times you can only call on the river even when you think you have the best hand. Your logic is faulty. If you have the best hand but he will not pay you off, a raise ears you nothing - and if it turns out that you didn't actually have the best hand, it costs you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But here we don't have the best hand, and might raise as a bluff, not because we think we're value betting AQ UI. Right?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:27 AM

His bet is generally too small to be a bluff, and there are very few hands which can call that flop out of position which don't beat ace high.