Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: 1/2 live OMGWTFLOL

Hand 1 is a good example of great river play imo.

you read what you thought he had, what he thought you had and went to the next level to say you know he'd try to win the pot to represent the ace by c'ring you on the river and would also likely call with whatever he had till that point and would almost certainly bet an ace, and he would have likely made a move w/ a jack sooner.

the flop/turn combo are debateable but close. personally i tend to call the flop a bit more in this spot but raise w/ QQ on down.

hand 2 is well played all around. betting the river is close but i htink there's enough value there to bet/call. sure you lose to a flush but given your turn play and the fact you have the ace, even a small flush may now just call...which is a reason why the turn 3 bet is also good.

Barron
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he checks, I ponder my best move, and figure maybe his most likely holding is a PP, so I bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't "think and bet". If you're going to bet bet immediatly and you should have a plan for every card or type of card one street ahead. The worst thing that can possibly happen to anyone in a poker game is to encourage people to take shots at you. Doing long pause bet with a mediocre hand is terrible unless you have the nuts and then its stupid and showboating.

[ QUOTE ]
I bet, and MP gives a little speech then says "I raise"

folds back to me, and at this point I looked back at my hand and realize I did have the A , I three-bet him, and he's not a passive player, fairly agg for this group.
He calls quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the flop in every hand know exactly what the suits are for your cards so you don't have to look back unless you want to give off a reverse tell. Speech almost always = huge hand if not the nuts. On a board like this if someone did speech-raise to me I would expect to be up against a flush almost all the time.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM

OK, I think I follow you. Thank you.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM

I think I would check behind on the turn in the first hand. I want to see the showdown here, but I really don't want to have to put in 3+ BBs to do it. Having bet the turn, I would check behind on the river. Very possible that this guy has been calling you down with ace high thinking its good. I would probably fold to the checkraise but it seems like you had a good read that he was f.o.s.

Hand 2 I bet this river because I think you will get called by a lot of two pair hands that will check behind. If you get raised I just call. Hope you cleaned up this game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
Old 11-28-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The worst thing that can possibly happen to anyone in a poker game is to encourage people to take shots at you. Doing long pause bet with a mediocre hand is terrible unless you have the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]
He is calling if he gets raised, so he should be happy to encourage the opponent to take a shot at him.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:02 PM

Default RESULTS

Hand 1 opponent showed me 67 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He didnt table it, and nobody makes the loser flip up their hands in this game. I was sitting next to him and I saw his hand as he picked it up and checked the board to make sure he hadn't made a straight.

Hand 2
I bet, he called, he had a straight flush and didn't know it. Jc 9c.

I drop 7 BB's in as many hours, but who cares, the game was good and I just never got any traction.

Tex
Old 11-28-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
I bet, he called, he had a straight flush

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. see? There are retards at every limit.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:57 PM

I agree with Jeff in hand 1. I don't think the way you played it is horrible but checking the river is a 2nd best play IMO.

I dissagree with Jeff in hand 2. You played the hand perfectly because a lot of times the guy will have KJ with no club and check/fold the river if a club comes. You lose the 3rd bet on the turn when he folds the river. If he semibluffs with a large club and poor pair he will check or fold the river if me misses again costing you a third bet on the turn. If he hits his club only sometimes can you get a check raise on the river. The only time you lose is if he 4 bets the turn with a worse hand (set, 2 pair) and then gets a bet or two out of you on the river when he fills up or if he has a flush, 4 bets it and you dont improve on the river. Also a lot of times he will call you on the river with a better hand (small flush) costing him as per the T.O.P. It seems you win the most this way. Anyone else agree with this. GOod job on hand 2.

Brian R.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Too bad you didn't river a club. You show your ace-high flush, he probably mucks his straight-flush...