Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Animal pain, suffering, and death: why does it matter?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it can turn out to be the 'wrong' journey after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ex. someone may spend much of their life (taking a journey)abusing alcohol or drugs. Then later on, they have a change of heart and realize they have gone down the 'wrong' path. There are individual rights and wrongs as well as societal rights and wrongs. Individuals probably change their ideas of right and wrong more often than does society. Most laws (codified right and wrong) change incrementally but an individual can have a completly different view of right and wrong at different points in their life. IE. compare a child's moral compass with that of an adult.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Ex. someone may spend much of their life (taking a journey)abusing alcohol or drugs. Then later on, they have a change of heart and realize they have gone down the 'wrong' path. There are individual rights and wrongs as well as societal rights and wrongs. Individuals probably change their ideas of right and wrong more often than does society. Most laws (codified right and wrong) change incrementally but an individual can have a completly different view of right and wrong at different points in their life. IE. compare a child's moral compass with that of an adult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your point.

Are you saying that one should abide by the laws that govern them?

or

That all that matters in life is that an individual looks inside himself and is content with the path he has chosen? (even if it is in conflict with society's laws)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your point.

Are you saying that one should abide by the laws that govern them?

or

That all that matters in life is that an individual looks inside himself and is content with the path he has chosen? (even if it is in conflict with society's laws)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry you don't understand, thought it was pretty clear. I think it is important that you do what matters to yourself. Hopefully, though, what matters to you doesn't conflict with society or you may be contemplating your life from behind bars.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Sorry you don't understand, thought it was pretty clear. I think it is important that you do what matters to yourself. Hopefully, though, what matters to you doesn't conflict with society or you may be contemplating your life from behind bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Hitler? He remained "true" to himself, and led his society.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Hitler? He remained "true" to himself, and led his society.

[/ QUOTE ]

He lead his 'society' but society is supposed to lead him. And, in the end it did. His society was not the world's society though he tried to make it that way. Are you asking me if sick people with a warped sense of right and wrong should remain true to themselves? I should have been clearer in my statement. I meant to say you should do what makes you happy as LONG AS IT DOES NOT INFRINGE ON SOMEONE ELSE'S RIGHTS.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:57 PM

He lead his 'society' but society is supposed to lead him. And, in the end it did. His society was not the world's society though he tried to make it that way. Are you asking me if sick people with a warped sense of right and wrong should remain true to themselves? I should have been clearer in my statement. I meant to say you should do what makes you happy as LONG AS IT DOES NOT INFRINGE ON SOMEONE ELSE'S RIGHTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Society is supposed to lead him? (What about Caesar?)

Furthermore, what is this "world's society" concept? (what if you were born 500 years ago, the world would be different then?)

Lastly, what are these rights people have, are they natural rights from birth or society constructed?