Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Top set how do I get away from it.

[ QUOTE ]
If button was on the flush draw, would he have capped the flop, casuing hero to call 2 cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this move has been argued against lately. But if I was the button and had AKs or AQs, I would probably cap here as well.

My marginal reasons for doing so:

1. The flop bettor could be just on some sort of pair that I have overcards on, in which case I have 15 outs to beat his hand assuming that he does not improve.

2. Also it might be worth folding the BB. IF I am the button, a PP is in the range of hands that I would assign to the BB. If he folds I have a chance to win unimproved if the flop bettor was either betting a draw or over cards.

3. It somewhat disguises my hand. Also could give me more options on the turn.

4. If it is a mistake it really is not a huge one.

5. Capping draws really seems to irritate people. They remember it and seem to play with you more. As I am playing more and more with the same players, I think plays like this become more important. Become to some extent I do trend towards ABC poker, So I think it is important once in a while for a tightish player like myself, to do stuff like this occasionally. So in this situation, yeah maybe the play itself in this hand might not be optimal, but I think it can pay dividends in future hands.

6. Capping makes me feel like a man, and my girlfriend gets excited. Which makes this play +EV/

I don't do this every time. I probably would not if the flop bettor had some rockish qualities.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 AM

You give excellent reasons for capping with the nut flush draw. I think we all agree that a variety of holdings could cap this flop. That said, I have top set and dammit I think it's good until you cap the turn, at which point I still have a slew of outs.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:54 AM

Not that this would change the hand, but why not 3-bet PF?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:03 AM

Ouch, that's pretty bad. Only thing I really don't like about this hand is calling the river cap.

Don't think you can fold anywhere though.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You give excellent reasons for capping with the nut flush draw. I think we all agree that a variety of holdings could cap this flop. That said, I have top set and dammit I think it's good until you cap the turn, at which point I still have a slew of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I also think that the river call is somewhat read dependent. My base read is fold, but I would easily adjust it depending on the game texture and the two players.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM

I like 3betting the flop, and going into the flop with control. Then, betting and reraising the flop. Turn and River you just have to call and pray.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that this would change the hand, but why not 3-bet PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet preflop if I know the raiser is loose, or a tight position aware raiser.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Hero's set is good here a vast majority of the time. 3-bet the turn and reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm putting button on a way overplayed AA/KK/QQ, no idea what to put MP2 on since he stop'n'gos on the turn->river.

-d
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 PM

Raise preflop, I would have led the flop and jammed from then on