Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Best place to go to university in USA? (Esp. California)

Boffin
Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

don't listen to this. USD is a terrible school compared to UCSD and they're close enough by that it really doesn't matter where you go if you just wanna meet hot chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone I know that has gone to UCSD under or post grad hates the school. They like the location etc, but think the school is miserable.

JustinA may be able to give the best opinion since he goes there (undergrad though), so...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody I know is the opposite. They loved the school. If you're looking to just coast through the 4 years, yeah, you should probably go to USD. If you want a good education then UCSD is obviously the choice.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Berkeley is full of [censored] Hippies too though. If that is your thing and you are ultra liberal then it is a great place. One walk down Telegraph and I was out. SD is off the hook. I'm going to Law school down here and it is the greatest place on Earth. UCSD is a great school. The people on the campus may not be the best from what I've heard, but the party scene is like 5 mins away. You are 5 mins from PB and 10 from Downtown. And you could live in one of those areas and just make the drive to UCSD if you wanted.

UCLA wouldn't be a bad call either. LA life is a bit different but I would take it over SF anyday. I would see where you get into first and then visit each place if possible. That would be your best bet.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:46 PM

I'm coming to Penn's Psychology department in August/September. I will also work at the Asch Center; unclear who my adviser is still (picking people is fun).

Are you from Philly? If you anything about the layout of the city can you tell where the cool places to live are (within the stipend constraints)? By tell me, I mean PM me.

- Natasha
Old 04-26-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm coming to Penn's Psychology department in August/September. I will also work at the Asch Center; unclear who my adviser is still (picking people is fun).

Are you from Philly? If you anything about the layout of the city can you tell where the cool places to live are (within the stipend constraints)? By tell me, I mean PM me.

- Natasha

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same Asch who pioneered study into peer pressure? I read about some of his studies, they fascinated me and tempted me into a psychology degree, but I got turned off by the psyhiological side.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Natasha

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same Asch who pioneered study into peer pressure? I read about some of his studies, they fascinated me and tempted me into a psychology degree, but I got turned off by the psyhiological side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Asch did the neat "line" studies about normative influence. Penn now has a muliti-disciplinary center in his name to study ethnopolitical conflict, terrorism, etc.

If you get a chance to take a few social or cognitive psych courses, they are pretty cool. It's sort of like formalized intuitive knowledge. And you get to play fun tricks on your friends, if you want to be a tool.

- Natasha
Old 04-26-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you anything about the layout of the city can you tell where the cool places to live are (within the stipend constraints)? By tell me, I mean PM me.
- Natasha

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that istewart's knowledge of living arrangements in the area doesn't extend much past the Quad. Might want to check with somebody else. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 05:11 PM

If you are 18-25 then UCSB is your only stop.

There is no place on earth like Isla Vista.

Andre
Old 04-26-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Santa Clara University

...and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. SCU does not have a Ph.D. program in economics.
2. With no disrespect to the faculty, especially Prof. Belotti, even if SCU had a graduate economics program it would not rank in the top 20 - and it's not even close.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Princeton is a pretty bad place to be in my opinion, as far as towns/cities go.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, if you somehow end up in New Jersey, Princeton is a fine place to be.