Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Best place to go to university in USA? (Esp. California)

I know people who have spent time at both, and they all liked Cambridge better.

Princeton has some strange quirks about it, and it's a small town. It's not really a huge research institution, either, outside of a couple of departments. Go West, young man.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have anyone to ask this question to, then you don't have a good enough reference to get you in, anyway. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this include lecturers at my undergrad institution?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:19 PM

For TA, though, right? It's a little different. Plus, you have to pay tuition, right? Science folk don't, though we really don't take classes beyond the first year or so. Yeah, but I'm probably wrong, since I haven't started hanging out with the Women's Studies chicks yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 PM

You will not find better weather than UCSD. I suspect the women at UCLA will be slightly better, but not by much.

You seem to have the academic research covered, just thot I'd toss in my 2 cnts. I live in SD and WILL NOT move EVER - weather is absolutely perfect. UCSD is in LaJolla, but people that go there live all over SD county so you can find a place you like and just commute to school (assuming you have a car?).

FishNChips
Old 04-26-2005, 04:24 PM

Princeton is a pretty bad place to be in my opinion, as far as towns/cities go.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:26 PM

"For TA, though, right? It's a little different. Plus, you have to pay tuition, right? Science folk don't, though we really don't take classes beyond the first year or so."

Yes and no. If you're a good candidate there are all kinds of fellowships. Every one in my department got a one year fellowship and at least one year of TAing. I have a dissertation year fellowship. And nobody has to pay his tuition.

Women's Studies chicks are psycho. Non-Women's Studies chicks who study women's issues rock. That is all.

-Michael
Old 04-26-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Natasha. Have you ever been to Cambridge UK? Your description of Princeton sounds somewhat similar, and in Cambridge some people see it as a small city with 2 crappy nightclubs full of boffins, and others see it as a quaint and wonderful place. Is it the same for Princeton?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, one of my best friends from high school is getting her Ph.D. there in Biochem or something like that. I forget which college/house (or whatever you call those places) she's in. I haven't visited her yet, but I probably will this summer.

In any case, from what I can tell, Cambridge is similar to Princeton. If you know great people, you're ok; if you're on your own, then there's not much to amuse yourself with. My friend basically drinks, smokes, and plays poker with her friends in the evening, which is funny considering that she doesn't smoke, like beer, or play cards. Essentially, you'd do the same thing here, except that fewer people smoke, the beer is awful, there are no places to drink, and very few grad students play poker.

P.S. what's a boffin?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Flushed when are you coming to Penn? What area of study?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For TA, though, right? It's a little different. Plus, you have to pay tuition, right? Science folk don't, though we really don't take classes beyond the first year or so. Yeah, but I'm probably wrong, since I haven't started hanging out with the Women's Studies chicks yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in social psychology and I will get paid. Does that mean I can start calling what I do "science" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:31 PM

Just looked at Berkeley's program and it is just what I am looking for. They offer fields in both political economy + psychology and economics and I have that feeling I have only ever had before when meeting a very special woman.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]