Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Calling preflop raises

Hi,
I'm studying the small stakes hold 'em book, and I don't quite understand some things about pre-flop play.

How do I decide whether to call a raise that's come behind me after I've already called the BB? He makes the distinction between cold calling a raise, and calling a raise after I'm already in the pot, but I'm not clear on how to decide when to do that.

Also, there are some pre flop hands that he recommends cold calling a raise in early/middle position, but the same hands in late position can only call if there are 3/4 in the pot (if at all). I don't understand this. Seems to me if you're willing to call in early position, you'd be more willing to call in late position. Can someone help clear this up for me.

Thanks for your help
Rob
Old 12-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Calling preflop raises

Once you've already called the big blind, calling a raise that came behind you doesn't qualify as cold calling. Cold calling is calling a raies before you've invested any money in the pot. If you've already limped into a pot and then someone raises, you should always call.

The reason you should cold call with some hands in late position only when 3 or 4 people have already entered the pot is because those hands play well multi-way. You generally wouldn't want to in early position because you can't be sure you will get the multi-way action the hands need.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there are some pre flop hands that he recommends cold calling a raise in early/middle position, but the same hands in late position can only call if there are 3/4 in the pot (if at all). I don't understand this. Seems to me if you're willing to call in early position, you'd be more willing to call in late position. Can someone help clear this up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to re-read the SSHE on cold calling. If I'm remembering correctly, cold calling is very seldom the correct play (1 to 2 hands per session, NOT per orbit).

In my experience, cold calling is a pretty clear tell of a weak player. I usually note it & what they cold called with.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM

SSHE does say that cold calling is very rarely correct, but also says you can cold call with a few more hands, like big suited connectors and suited aces, if lots of people are in the pot.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I decide whether to call a raise that's come behind me after I've already called the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're usually getting great odds in this case, so you want to call most of the time, unless you have reason to believe someone will re-raise. If there are a lot of people calling the raise (or likely to call the raise), you particularly want to play hands that can turn into monster hands on the flop: pocket pairs and suited cards. Connectors are pretty good, too.

You want to avoid hands that you think are likely to be dominated. This depends greatly on what you think the raisier may have based on his raising standards, and if anyone cold-called, what their standards for cold-calling are.

If the raiser has knocked a lot of people out, circumstances are a bit different because the pot (and the implied odds) are not nearly as big. On the other hand, you have less competition. Being suited is not less important, but its more important to have high cards so that if you flop a pair you're fairly confident that you're ahead.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 PM

you can call 2 cold with some good multiway hands when there are a lot of people cc'ing before you, and/or you expect loose blinds, such as ATs, TJs, 33-88, etc. etc. Hands like AJ and KT are bad to call for raises, even multiway, as they are likely to be subject to domination. Bigger hands like 99-AA are good 3-betting/isolating hands, esp if pfr has big cards.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks to all for the replies.

You're right, it's hands like smaller pairs, and big suited connectors, KJs, QJs, etc. (the ones you wouldn't re-raise with) that are in this situation. I also just noticed that this only appears in the recomendation for *loose* tables. I'm assuming this is because the raising standards on a loose table are going to be weak. This is starting to make more sense to me.

As for the other question, so is it safe to say that if I limp in and get raised, I should pretty much always call (at least) unless it comes 3 bets to me?

If it does get raised and re-raised behind me, should I ever just call? Or should I only play hands worthy of capping?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the other question, so is it safe to say that if I limp in and get raised, I should pretty much always call (at least) unless it comes 3 bets to me?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty much the mantra of the micro-limit player. It's downright rare to see anyone fold to a raise once they've limped in. Note that you can use this to your advantage in late position, when you have a hand that will rely on pot odds. Example, T9s on the button with 5 limpers, I'd raise just for better odds later. Those 5 limpers *WILL* call the raise.

[ QUOTE ]
If it does get raised and re-raised behind me, should I ever just call? Or should I only play hands worthy of capping?

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bets back to you, you can consider folding (in fact I recommend it.) Let me ask you, what hand would you call 3 bets with that you wouldn't raise to begin with?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I decide whether to call a raise that's come behind me after I've already called the BB? He makes the distinction between cold calling a raise, and calling a raise after I'm already in the pot, but I'm not clear on how to decide when to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've limped in and someone raises after you, always call the raise if it is only one bet. If someone re-raises before it gets back to you, you need to tighten up and play only the few hands that you would cold-call a raise with. (AA-TT,AKs).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are looking at the "Loose" guidelines. Meaning, on average, 6-8 players are seeing the flop each hand. When you are in early position, there is always the potential that many more players are going to enter the pot. However, in late position, on a hand that has been raised you are close to being the last to act and can see how many people are going to be in the pot. If there is only 1 player to enter the pot so far, it's going to be a small pot and there are only a few hands that you should Cold Call with. But if 4 or more have called the raise it opens up a lot more hands because the pot is guaranteed to be multi-way and large.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:36 PM

I meant to say it opens up a few more hands, LOL, not a lot.