Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Zen Buddhism

Are there any Zen Buddhist on 2+2? I have been studying it for a few years. However living in Meridian, Mississippi does not leave alot of hope of finding a Zen Teacher to aid me or even a Zendo to Meditate. Any Suggestions???

I am extremely serious with this, and I am in no way attempting to stir up any controversy or add any more elements in the big "God/No God" debate.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Zen Buddhism

I would not call my self a Zen Buddhist but I do meditate and have done some typical Zen meditation. I have also read extensively on the subject.
Books can be helpful. I can point you in some different directions that I find interesting, much of it free stuff on the web.
A living teacher is helpful. Even in Miss. you might find one if you really look hard. If you have the $$ to travel there are retreats and so forth that you can go on.
At the end of the day, zen is something you can do perfectly well on a cushion in your livingroom, anywhere in the world.
Feel free to send me a message and I will give you a list of web stuff, books and so forth.
-g
Old 11-15-2005, 08:19 PM

Found this on an internet search

Jackson Zen Group
4308 Old Canton Rd..
JACKSON, MS 39211
Tel: (+1-601) 982-0402
Denomination: Japanese Soto School
Affiliated to: Informally with New Orleans Zen Temple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starkville Zen Dojo
231 Santa Anita Drive
STARKVILLE, MS 39759
Tel: (+1-601) 324-3622
E-mail: tbland@futuresouth.com
Internet site
Denomination: Sawaki-Deshimaru True Soto Zen
Lineage: Robert Livingston
Teacher: Tony Bland
Affiliated to: New Orleans Zen Temple
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 PM

People will think this is funny coming from a catholic poster here, but I have always been interested in philosophical, as opposed to religious, Zen. (Don't start you buddhists, and yes this is no different than those who wish to accept only the easier of Jesus' teachings without accepting them all.)

Check out amazon for books by D.T. Suzuki, and search online like in wiki, so you can read up on the various "flavors" of Zen, i.e. different sects and their teachings. You could also goole for zazen regarding meditation. And you should also read Warrior of Zen: The Diamond-Hard Wisdom Mind of Suzuki Shosan. It is a Zen book beyond compare.

On the same road,
the different wheel tracks.

-A Zen Forest: Sayings of the Masters
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 PM

I had a sitting group back in college which was pretty nice. Very meditation/now focused, pretty secular. Find a group to meditate with and go once or twice a week; I guarantee you'll have a better experience meditating with a group than you will alone.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:16 AM

a man came to a village seeking a particular master. he was led to him and very bluntly said "i want to learn the way to enlightenment, and understand the zen of the tao". the master took a moment and said "go work in the garden". days turned into months and after 2 years the man had to confront the master. after being shown the way he again said, w/out explanation, "i have been working in the garden for 2 years, my head is filled w/ confusion, and when i am able to think i realize i know far less than when i came here". the master took a few moments to think and then said, "go work in the garden"............b
Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a man came to a village seeking a particular master. he was led to him and very bluntly said "i want to learn the way to enlightenment, and understand the zen of the tao". the master took a moment and said "go work in the garden". days turned into months and after 2 years the man had to confront the master. after being shown the way he again said, w/out explanation, "i have been working in the garden for 2 years, my head is filled w/ confusion, and when i am able to think i realize i know far less than when i came here". the master took a few moments to think and then said, "go work in the garden"............b

[/ QUOTE ]

and then, without thinking the man replied: "You go and work in that garden and I'll be the master". After a few instants the old master smiled and went on to work in the garden.

-- from "how to get a cheap gardener"
Old 11-18-2005, 01:29 AM

Not a buddhist, but I have stood at the foot (and been inside) of Daibutsu (your avatar) in Kamakura Japan. I highly recommend a trip there if interested in Buddhism. There had to be a dozen or more temples in and around the town. A fascinating place.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 AM

I refer to myself as a "non-practicing" Zen Buddhist. Whereas I don't meditate as often as I should, I find the philosophy compelling. In fact, my 2nd marriage was performed by a Zen Buddhist minister and was an adatation of a traditional Buddhist ceremony.