Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: 5/10 AK

Yeah, I definitely like the flop raise, it's a 16SB pot and you are going to call one bet definitely so why not invest another SB to fold out small PP or Gut shots? The turn is where I dont' know what the best action is except that folding is bad. You have TPTK on the turn so not much can draw out on you and even if you raise no fd or straight draw will fold and if they have a T they will 3B you, so I'm leaning towards calling. It looks like CO has 99, AK, AQ here though or AT (but not many ppl 3B AT)
Old 11-30-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many may disagree butI'm going to say I think this hand is fine. You raise the flop in order to hopefully get another AK, and other hands to fold. Protect your outs and do whatever you can to win a large pot.
Turn raise is fine, this is a huge pot, do what you can to win it. When CO 3-bets you I think his hand range is 99, AT, AA, maybe AK or AQ. Most of the time you are beat here but pot is so huge you have to call down. Overall, it may seem like you threw in extra bets here but don't forget, throwing extra bets in order to win a big pot is hardly a mistake compared to not putting in these bets and having it cost you the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

all this seems logical to me
Old 11-30-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I definitely like the flop raise, it's a 16SB pot and you are going to call one bet definitely so why not invest another SB to fold out small PP or Gut shots?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gut shots are still getting odds to call. And why do you care about small PP's? Yes they have odds to draw on the flop if we smooth call, but we haven't even hit the board yet! Why are we trying to protect vs some long shot draw rather than try and hit our own draw for cheap? Let 33 and 44 draw here, it's extra bets in the pot.

If we catch something on the turn, we have good position on the aggressor and can raise and put the field to a 2BB call. This is where we want to get rid of the draws. Typically, this would have been checked to us on the turn (his stop n go is certainly not expected) and now we're putting people to a 1BB decision in a huge pot. Now that we want to try and shake off the gutshots and small PP's, we don't even have that option!

Also, I don't think we get rid of AK for 2 bets on the flop. They're getting 1:10+ to call with what they probably figure to be 3 or 4 outs and huge implied odds.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM

I don't see any reason to raise the flop here. It's certainly not for value and it doesnt protect your hand at all.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:41 PM

In order to respond to the CO's stats, you have to interpret them correctly. You can't just say "oh sh*t, he 3-bet the turn. With that aggression, I have to be beat." What hands make sense for him with his preflop and postflop aggression? IMO, AA, TT, AK, and maybe 99, maybe AQ. If he will defend his blind in position a little more aggressively, I'd add a few weaker Aces.

1 combo of AA
1 combo of TT
3 combo's of 99 (discount to 1)
6 combo's of AK
8 combo's of AQ (discount to 2)

I think you're ahead of or tied w/ CO a majority of the time.

As far as BB, he's reasonably aggro and will probably showdown a hand like 88 or 77 the way he played all streets. He might have a weak Ten like T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but I think he'd have pushed this harder.

I agree with Chairman and like all streets. I've drastically cut down on raising with overs any more, but I like it in this spot. It's close though. I'd almost say, raise a rainbow board, just call if it's 2-suited.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're ahead of or tied w/ CO a majority of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
how can i be ahead a majority of the time if i beat only AQ
[ QUOTE ]
I've drastically cut down on raising with overs any more, but I like it in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess this is something i have to do as well
Old 11-30-2005, 05:53 PM

The flop raise is for increasing our chance of winning the pot not for value or protecting. In big pots, you care more about how to win the pot rather than winning the maximum bets unless you have close to the nuts.

Anyways, I still think the most important is the turn. Can someone plz analyze it?