Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 PM

Default 5/10 NL SH--chip spewing? (deep stacks)

5/10 NL 4-handed

i had been really aggressive, raising almost every pot. all three players are on the tight side and are getting run over.

Stacks:
Hero- $2150
BB- $1890

Hero on the button with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] raises to $30, BB re-raises to $125, Hero calls.

flop ($255) 2 3 7 (suits do not matter)

BB bets $200, Hero calls.

turn ($655) 2 3 7 6

BB bets $300, Hero goes all-in for $1825

comments before the flop and all streets welcome.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL SH--chip spewing? (deep stacks)

PF I would call also because of stack sizes.

Flop is fine as well, you have good implied odds for a 5 outer, and you often have the best hand, though it cant stand any heat unimproved.

I think the interesting part is your push rather than a smaller raise or a river push. an overpair is certainlyl likely to call given your description, and I definitely put villain on TT-AA, but I think a smaller raise is also a viable play.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 PM

6 high is not best on the flop
Old 11-29-2005, 05:08 PM

great. for some reason I thought hero made a pair with his 4.

sorry about that. I'd edit my post cause there is still time, but then your wouldnt make sense, so just disregard it.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 high is not best on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
do i have to have the best hand to "just" call?

i had made this move a couple times with big hands so i figured i would make a "floating call" to see what happens on the turn, if it would give me a chance to steal this pot.

i was actually thinking an Ace would be a good card for me to steal this with as i have him on 10's and higher. it just happened that i hit a pair, which i still doubt gave me the best hand, but you have to look at this hand from his perspective. the board reads 2 3 6 7 and i have been showing an extrememly wide range of hands so it isn't far off for that board to have hit me. i could have a lot of hands that beat his pair.

so against a tightie why not make a loose call on a connected flop to see what happens with a deep stack?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Looks good to me. It's just a pot sized raise so obviously if you're raising, pushing is the only way to go. And sometimes you'll have the best hand, sometimes you'll fold out the best hand, and sometimes you'll suck out on the best hand. Seems quite +EV to me.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:27 PM

If you make your hand on the river, your hand is very hard to get paid off on so generally I don't like calling. You'll have to tag him on the river for ~$300 on the river for neutral EV, which would be pretty easy.

BTW, you'll need to have him fold ~35-40% of the time if you assume you got 9 clean outs.

Given your image and the price (955:300), i think calling might be better here. he may check the river and then you can bluff at a better price if you have a tendency to slowplay to the river.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM

You say that suits don't matter but it does matter if there was a flush draw on the flop.

It might lean the decision towards calling because of river bluff outs.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:29 PM

Flop call when villain has $1,565 behind is ugly. Maybe your 4 and 6 are outs, but you clearly were gonna commit your whole stack on the turn if you hit (cause you did), and I don't know how many people will lay down a hand that beats you. Clearly if you're called you're beat.

You're getting 10.1 to 1 from his stack + pot on that flop. I don't think that's enough to call.

Only way I like the turn all in is if either you can get a hand as good as QQ to lay down because of how WT he is, or get a hand as weak as maybe AQ to call cause he's tired of getting pushed around. He bet twice. Looks to me like he likes his hand, and he's only got $1,265 behind with the pot now at over $2,500. Not likely he's gonna fold with many if anything that beats you.

Looks like spew to me.

- C -
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM

BTW, if you had AA, this is line is perfect.