Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Limit tournaments, question on stacking off?

I played my first limit tournament this weekend, a $33 on Party, and wow was the play horrible. The one thing I'm still not sure of in these limit tournaments, is how low your stack needs to be before you just shove all your chips in by going to war on the flop even though your hand has very little chance of winning.

In my final hand of the tourney, I had about 550 chips behind me with the limits at 100/200. I was dealt 88, and in a NL tourney this would be an auto push. Instead I raised behind one limper, and only the limper and SB called. So that leaves me with 350 chips left and 700 in the pot. The flop came down T52, checked to me and I got check/raised. In a ring game I might just fold it right here, or 3-bet to take control of the hand and go from there. But now what to do when stack size is an issue? I could fold and leave myself 250 chips, which is enough to raise or 3-bet preflop and basically be all-in. Or I could raise, and just call a 4-bet and take my chances, even though there's a strong chance I'm dead to 2 outs.

Also are there any experience limit MTT'ers out there? I know in HOH he says a good NL player will have a much larger ROI in MTT's than a limit player, but I was wondering if the fast online structures combined with the atrocious play in these limit tournaments has closed this gab any? I'm thinking about playing a lot more of these, and am interested in whatever anyone has to say. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Limit tournaments, question on stacking off?

I would like to know the suits here, but regardless, you're putting all your chips in this hand. Period. The small possibility of getting a better hand before the BB hits, only to win a considerably smaller pot than the one in front of you, does not justify giving up what's in the pot right now. With at least 1000 in the pot right now, and 250 more from at least one opponent, you're getting at least 5:1 to throw in the rest of your chips. Those are decent odds for your 88, but more importantly they're the best odds you're likely to get with a stack this small. Raise and win, and you're left with a somewhat playable stack. Fold now, catch miracle aces next hand against a single opponent, and you're still only 80% to win a $650 pot, leaving you in a position where you will still have to go all in with a marginal hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:36 AM

The flop was all red, 2 hearts and 1 diamond, and my 8's were black. Does that change much?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:39 AM

You can't fold the eights.

You can have a pretty damn good roi if you are a good limit player but its frustrating at times.

The interesting thing as you have seen here is as the blinds get bigger limit tournaments turn into a sort of pot limit/limit hybrid, where you have to commit a large part of your stack preflop but can't get all in.