Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM

Default New Router/Notebook loses wireless connection every 5 mins...

I just set up a new cable modem and wireless router, linked to my cable internet service. Wireless router is D-Link DI-624.

One notebook works fine with the wireless, but the 2nd notebook (the one I play poker on) works fine with the wireless only for about 5 mins, before losing the connection. Then it claims it doesn't find any wireless networks within range. But if I go to the Networks Connections control panel and hit Repair, it goes through the repair process and everythings fine for another few mins, when it happens again.

I set the router up on the 1st notebook. The 2nd notebook never previously had any problems connecting wireless. The signal is strong when it's going.

Any ideas what's causing this? Anyone had something similar?

Thanks for any tips.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: New Router/Notebook loses wireless connection every 5 mins...

Yeah your not the first so no worries. Ok first of all im not being picky but sorry to point out anything D-Link wasnt worth 15% of the purchase price. Linksys will forever be the best IMO. Ok now that I have that out of my system [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] let me try to help with the main problem at hand ok here are the instructions:

"goto CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS > NETWORK CONNECTIONS > WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION > PROPERTIES (Button) > WIRELESS NETWORKS (Tab)>

Ok now from here make sure "use windows to config" box is checked

under preferred networks highlight the one you use and click on Properties button, next...

under Association tab make sure network auth is on OPEN and data encrypt is WEP...under network key put in your encryption code given by router when you configed the wireless setup under key index leave it on 1...leave key provided auto box Un-Checked, next...

under Authentication tab leave enable IEEE box Un-Checked, next...

under Connection tab check the connect when network in range box, now...

press ok, then it takes you back to the Properties window click on Advanced button and make sure "any avail. network (access point preffered) button is clicked then press close and back at Properties window click ok, then...

close the rest of the windows by pressing close and not on the upper right hand corner [X], now...

reset wireless laptop and try it now. If the system continues to halt and lose connections after sometime I recommend a program that sets up the network for you. My favorite being a free program from AOL by the name of Network Magic, it is also really good for setting up shared folder and printer share across multiple PCs.

Hope this helps you buddy and sorry for all the detailed info I just want it to be easy to read and understandable for you, if not you can always post for more help [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The selected post/topic has been added to your list. You will see this entry in 'My Home' until you remove it if you added it as a Favorite. You also will get any replies to your Favorite topics emailed to you if you have this option enabled in your profile. Reminders will not be emailed to you and will go away once you make a reply to the post. In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

Return to forum now.

Contact Us

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, that's an awesome 3rd post. Same question I'd had when dealing with wireless. Are you a Schneids incarnation?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 PM

thats the kind of detail I need. step-by-step.

Some of us arent au fait with all the tech/pc fooling around.

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linksys will forever be the best IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

But their tech support sucks. I've talked to two people tonight and they both interrupt me and don't listen to what I'm telling them. Plus they sound like Steven Hawking. Their phone system is terrible.

Edit: And their hold music (jazz? I can't tell. Same bad phone system) isn't so hot either.