Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 5/10 6-max: My opponent sucks at poker

if you had 22 I dont like your river bet. I would've bet less. Obviously though your opponent fooled me though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: Or maybe even checked, although I dont think I would. It just seems if he's straightforward he has a weak jack that he doesnt want to fold, (but would for a pot bet) a T9 type hand that is so marginal on the river he's barely beating anything, etc.

And I'd probably pot the turn. See, there's some content to this post.

reedited: nah, I like turn bet size, although sometimes I'd bet the pot.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just shocked to see a player so weak-tight in a 5/10 NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

its only weak tight if he feared JJ on flop and turn. however what i said earlier was probably more likely the case. then on river a few more hands beat him like 99, QT. coupled with the fact that most of your range wont be able to call a raise, and the showdown value of seeing "what else you bluff with", that could lead to his call behind.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was just shocked to see a player so weak-tight in a 5/10 NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

its only weak tight if he feared JJ on flop and turn. however what i said earlier was probably more likely the case. then on river a few more hands beat him like 99, QT. coupled with the fact that most of your range wont be able to call a raise, and the showdown value of seeing "what else you bluff with", that could lead to his call behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying, but I really like a turn raise here. If he raises 2X my bet size on turn, he's likely winning a big hand off me, and if I didn't have 22, most likely I won't be betting the river as well. I think the turn is the best way to get the money in the pot. And even if he wants to put me on JJ, I think he has to figure the odds of 22 are the same as JJ, if not better seeing as though I do sometimes raise JJ from the blinds with limpers.

Just some thoughts,
-Ace
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM

right. in a vaccuum, everyone on this forum would have raised the turn (had they not raised the flop). raising LAGs can also get them thinking that you are just "playing back" and even if you didnt have a set of 2s maybe you would still talk yourself into giving action depending on the dynamics of the game. so yes there are many reasons why a raise should have been made.

original post asked "anyone care to share why hero would play this hand so poorly?" so i am just throwing out ideas
Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 PM

I think he is just bad, but maybe he just misread the board. Thought there were 3 to a flush on turn or 4 to a straight on river. I have never done that, but I have made some weird plays because I misread the board.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($1018)
UTG ($1170.50)
Hero ($1000)
CO ($1072)
Button ($1042.75)
SB ($1023.88)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $30.

Flop: ($85) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $60</font>, BB calls $60.

Turn: ($205) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($205) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $205
Old 11-16-2005, 05:27 PM

I have made some weird plays because I misread the board.

heh... As long as we're going with the no content theme...

I play in a local limit game on Friday nights and had a hand come up as follows:
I'm dealt AJs in LP. BB isn't a great player but isn't awful. EP is a maniac.

EP raises, I call, BB calls.
Flop is JT7, BB checks, EP checks, I bet, BB calls, EP raises, call call.
Turn is 7, BB checks, EP checks, I bet, BB now raises and EP calls.

EP will call with AK here. He might have an overpair, but he could have a lot worse than I have. BB though, I got a read on him that he was REALLY strong from his body language. So I folded. River was a brick and it went bet call, and BB shows down T8 vs. EP's QQ. BB then says "Sh*t, I thought I had T7."

Definitely happens, though I doubt much given AHS's statement that Hero is terrible that this was just a board misread.

- C -