Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Aces flops a set: Now fold???

A friend of mine just told me about this hand from a $20+2 SnG on Party from yesterday. Friend is the one holding the aces. *By all accounts, I have every reason to believe the facts are exactly as they happened w/o actually seeing the HH (spelling that out before the doubters start flaming)*

Very early on, Level 1, effective stacks are 800.

Dealt to HERO (button): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG raises to T125, MP calls, MP+1 calls, HERO calls. BB calls.

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG goes all, MP goes all in, MP1 goes all in.

HERO???
Old 09-16-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Aces flops a set: Now fold???

Hero pushes PF and calls the flop.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Push preflop. Then push the flop and learn not to let 10J have odds to see a flop when you have AA. Besides, you have redraws (but I hope they don't hit).
Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Hero calls and gets ready to berrate the guy who pushed all his chips in with 6c7c and turned the flush.

It's a $22 and early, so it's loaded with donks who will put all their money in on a draw. Although I don't doubt that many of the $22 fish are bad enough to call the PF raise with JT, you just can't fold top set at a $22 sng fearing that someone did in fact call with JT.

With AA, you have to jam in as many chips PF as they will call. With that action, they'll call if you bet big or push.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:34 PM

isn't he getting correct pot odds to hit a boat, even if he's already up against a straight?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Cold calling raises pre-flop with JT is probably not too likely, but I'm sure people do it. It's almost as bad as not reraising with AA. I think I'd call here. You may be ahead and you have plenty of outs if not.

Push pre-flop. End of problems!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealt to HERO (button): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG raises to T125, MP calls, MP+1 calls, HERO calls. BB calls.

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG goes all, MP goes all in, MP1 goes all in.

HERO???

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the hero is against K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the nut flush draw, J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the flopped straight, and K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for bottom-two, he still wins the pot 25% of the time. With 3 people all-in ahead of him and 625 in the pot, he's got way better than the right odds to call, even in this worst case scenario.

And if he loses, maybe he'll learn that cold-calling a big raise and then 2 overcallers with AA and 3 opponents pre-flop is bad, bad, bad poker and you reap what you sow.

--Z
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 PM

That requires a lot of artwork. How many of the As, Ks, and Qs that hero is drawing to are in the other hands.

JT is possibly out there, but it is only fraction of the opponents hands out there that might be playing this way. Hold your nose, call and cry.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 PM

how would you guys play this preflop with starting stacks of 1500 chips (ultimate bet)? A reraise to about 450?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:43 PM

NO! Get it all in!