Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Default standard situaton poll, without a poll.

so here's something that happens all the time:

9 handed, 50/100

3 or 4 folds to you (if it changes your decision, write about both) you have one of 88, 99, or TT, if you want to write about them as different, do so. all players have even stacks. (say those stacks are 1100.)

your action?

for a variation, say you have 1100, as do most players, though the people who folded already have randomish stacks to make the numbers behind you possible. behind you there are 2 guys with 400ish and two guys with 1800ish. your action?

citanul
Old 05-19-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: standard situaton poll, without a poll.

Probably push all 3. I might make a standard raise if the table texture looks like I'll get away with it.

If there's some short stacked donkey itching to push behind me I'm definitely standard raising, hopefully to 1/2 his stack minus 1 chip.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Raising and then folding to a push is pretty bad. I refer you to my 'I'm only a coinflip so I fold' post; you're going to be getting almost 2:1 on a call and they are pushing with a lot more than seven hands. You might be able to find a fold with a 66, but not nines or tens and probably not eights unless you have an excellent read.

That's in a 1000 chip game. If you raise/fold in an 800 chip game with 900 behind, reread whichever book you have that tells you about pot odds.

Also, there's no shame in occasionally limping or folding an 88 UTG, but in MP, I'd never do this.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 PM

I think this would have been a push for me before but lately I've been folding a lot more in this situation. I suppose with 4 folds to me and 10s in my hand I would push but other than that I think I would fold often and wait til I had position with closer to any two. Then again I'm playing right now and this is an interesting situation that I would like to think over when I can give it my full attention.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this would have been a push for me before but lately I've been folding a lot more in this situation. I suppose with 4 folds to me and 10s in my hand I would push but other than that I think I would fold often and wait til I had position with closer to any two. Then again I'm playing right now and this is an interesting situation that I would like to think over when I can give it my full attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please explain the rationale behind folding 99 in this situation?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM

I think its just more likely that you're 50/50 with somebody if you have 99 instead of 1010. I mean I guess I would sometimes push 99 but with 9 left somebody's startin to get antsy and gonna call you with overcards. The higher your pair the better chance you have them owned. I also am not all that stoked about 150 in blinds here. wait til they get up to 200 and youre in the sb or button and just push with without looking and i think i like that idea better. However, if i'm down around 800 chips or something here I would probably push any of these pairs probably from any position. With over 1000 though and the blinds this low I think it might be slightly +ev but I think you could wait and find a better spot.

I guess everything I've said is mostly speaking of the 55s as thats where I have the most experience. In the 800 chip games if I had 1100 chips I would proabbly be more prone to pass here as that makes everybody else that much more desperate and they would probably have lower calling standards to boot.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its just more likely that you're 50/50 with somebody if you have 99 instead of 1010.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when they push you are getting 2:1 on your flip.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm saying fold though. If I made a 2.5-3.5 bb raise I would call a push without thinking about it.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and they would probably have lower calling standards to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the point...you either

A) Take down the blinds
B) Get called by a hand you're a big FAV against (Ax or under pair)
C) Get called and you're a coin-flip
or least likely...D) You're a huge dog.

% of each taking place...

Probably something like:

A) 60%
B) 20%
C) 15%
D) 5%

So if i'm at all close with the numbers...80% of the time you are loving life...15% you are 50/50 to win and 5% you're killed...i'll take this any day.

Andre
Old 05-19-2005, 01:06 PM

nice! two posts and debate already!

btw, i forgot to add, if it changes anything for you to have this be a 800 chip game vs a 1000 chip game, that should be taken into account, or discussed, or something.

citanul