Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 AM

Default preemptive strike on Iran

hypothetical question

would Israel be wrong to destroy Iran's nuclear facilities, like it did in Iraq?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: preemptive strike on Iran

Iran's president recently gave them all the justification they need. They acted pre-emptively in 67 because they knew they were about to be attacked. They didn't do so in 73 even knowing the same because of negative reactions to the earlier war and US pressure. But now, even without knowledge of an immenent attack, they can take zero risk of suffering a nuclear attack which would devastate their small country. It won't be easy to hit a dispersed network of sites, but they still should do it if they have intel that Iran is close to having nuclear weapon capability, and the US should give them all the satellite and other intel help possible.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:59 AM

Given the recent excuse they were given (not even excuse really its legitimate) I would go for it.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:16 AM

I want to add before someone else does, that a large percentage of Iranians, especially the younger generation, are more western oriented and don't support their government, but that if attacked would undoubtedly unify behind that government. But their government is their responsibility and if they don't want to suffer the negative consequneces of their government's actions, then it is up to them to start another revolution to do so. Otherwise they get what they deserve, same as with the germans in WWII.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But their government is their responsibility and if they don't want to suffer the negative consequneces of their government's actions, then it is up to them to start another revolution to do so. Otherwise they get what they deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe the victims of 9/11 got what they deserved? One could flip your argument to suggest that the americans who died that day were responsible for the US Government's actions in the middle east.

I don't think the victims of 9/11 deserved what happened to them, but it's important to be careful when saying these kinds of things.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Not at all! Go ahead and do it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question, would Israel be wrong to destroy Iran's nuclear facilities, like it did in Iraq?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why hypothetical ? Why not real?

The world has changed. Used to be there were two superpowers (their respective political regimes matter little, in this context) and one was supporting the Israelis and the other superpower the Arabs, in the Mid East conflict. In such a world, there were limits tyo what Israel was allowed to do, imposed by America, on account of the existence and the deterrence effect of the USSR. Now, as it happens, there is only one superpower, and it's the one that supports Israel.

Israel won the lottery. And it can pretty much do whatever the hell it pleases, without the slightest fear of retaliation or punishment.

And this is not an exaggeration. "Everything it pleases" includes messing with good ol' USA. Israel practically spat Bush and his gang in the face and tore their "road map" to shreds. Bush and the rest of the American administration wiped their faces and pretended it was rain.

So go ahead and bomb away! You still got the OSIRAK plans, don't you?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:29 AM

Cola,

I was talking about the citizens of a country suffering the consequences of their undemocratic government's actions, and that the citizens of those countries bear the responsibility for same if they are not willing to change that government even at the risk of their lives. If you are equating US government actions and policies with those of such regimes then Osama would love you.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are equating US government actions and policies with those of such regimes then Osama would love you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe I said that at all.

[ QUOTE ]
undemocratic government

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so that's the key? Why should it only be the responsibility of citizens who live under an undemocratic government? In a democracy, people elect leaders and are more directly responsible for who makes the decisions.

People are indirectly responsible for all of their own government's actions, but that doesn't mean they are 'getting what they deserve' when attacked by those who are against their government's policies. That was my only point, and I seriously doubt anyone can offer a real argument that disproves it.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:42 AM

OK, it doesn't matter whether democratic or not. What does matter is that if their government unjustifiably attacks or threatens another country, and is attacked in response, then the consequences of same are "deserved". Of course if your real agenda is an anti-Israel one, then I guess guess you could think the very existence and history of Isreal provide the justification.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:03 AM

The more interesting question is:

If America were to tell the Israeli's that it is not in America's best interest for Israel to bomb Iran (and, IMO, it is not in OUR interest for Israel to bomb Iran) would Israel give a rats ass?