Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 06:13 PM

Default $30/$60 How Aggro Should I Play This Hand?

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Just sat down at table, no read. Raise flop? Turn is weird, looks like his check is with some hand he is preparing to call me down with but I have such a strong draw hard for me not to bet. On turn I felt he had Ace high so I can't bluff that, if I read him wrong though and he has something else the ace is a good bluff card for me I think.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: $30/$60 How Aggro Should I Play This Hand?

To begin with, I'm really leery about raising preflop from UTG on an unkown table with KQs. A three bet here pretty much screws you. If you knew this to be a loose table maybe a different story.. Your flop play on is also very questionable. His bet on the flop pretty much means everything he has is way ahead of you, any ace especially A10, QJ is even ahead of you here. At least raise him if you plan to continue, you have position and can get a free card if you pick up a straight or flush draw on the turn, and possibly get him to bail on the flop. I agree with your read on the turn, I think he's checking a weak ten like Q10 to you, or possibly a strong ace that he's going to call you down with. You've got a draw now, I don't see you pushing him out with a bet, though if he's a weak player you might be setting him up for a bluff if a scare card comes on the river. But it's more likely he'll call you down anyways, and you have a free shot to outdraw him. Taking that seems much more profitable. On the river, if you were looking to bluff him here, go for it, it's probably the only way you're going to win the hand. Then again, he probably has you beat soundly and is going for the check raise.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:46 PM

did you notice this was 5 handed?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you notice this was 5 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice it doesn't really matter? ;P Just wanted to be a smartass. I've never played in a game I wouldn't raise this hand UTG...no matter how many handed.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 PM

nope, duh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] disregard me please
Old 01-16-2005, 06:54 PM

wow. I don't know what the chances are of 1 out of 9 players randomly having AK/AQ, but they're probably not low. When it comes to MP or LP and no one has raised those chances go way down. Seems to me that those times you do hit on the flop you're going to be dominated enough to make this not profitable. I don't have any simulation data on this though I've seen it and am pretty sure this is true. Maybe if you play well enough postflop you can turn a small profit from this play, but that would again probably be in a very loose game where raising with this hand UTG is a good play to begin with. Raising in a tight game with this hand is just stupid.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 PM

"Just wanted to be a smartass"

Keep reaching for your dream, so far your only 1/2 way there
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM

Hey bruiser,

I don't like the turn bet. I find it very unlikely that he will fold, and even if all Kings, Queens, Jacks and Diamonds are clean outs for you it is still not for value.

I agree that it is hard to see how he could fold a better hand or call with a worse given all this action. Unless he is very lag and has a KT time hand, in which case he might call the river anyway.

I'd consider capping preflop (though close) and raising the flop.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow. I don't know what the chances are of 1 out of 9 players randomly having AK/AQ, but they're probably not low. When it comes to MP or LP and no one has raised those chances go way down. Seems to me that those times you do hit on the flop you're going to be dominated enough to make this not profitable. I don't have any simulation data on this though I've seen it and am pretty sure this is true. Maybe if you play well enough postflop you can turn a small profit from this play, but that would again probably be in a very loose game where raising with this hand UTG is a good play to begin with. Raising in a tight game with this hand is just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, raising this in an overly tight game is actually much better. People will give you more credit when you raise UTG and you'll have a good chance to get HU against the blinds, which would be great.
-James
Old 01-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

did you recently win a lottery or something? i'm not commenting specifically that this hand was awful or whatever, it just seems like you're posting really generic limit questions but you're playing crap like 5-handed 30/60 on a tight site.