Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 AM

Default \"world poker\" firm suing travel channel

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050921/1167072.html?.v=1
------------------------------------------------------
WPT Enterprises Inc. is suing the Travel Channel, which airs the company's World Poker Tour television show.
West Hollywood, Calif.-based WPT (Nasdaq:WPTE - News) claims the Travel Channel interfered with the company's plans for a new poker series on ESPN, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Minnetonka-based Lakes Entertainment Inc. (Pink Sheets:LACO - News) owns approximately 62 percent of WPT.

WPT claims it had the right to develop poker-related shows with other networks as long as the Travel Channel was given the "first opportunity to license the show and the last right to refusal."

WPT claims the Travel Channel and its parent company, Discovery Communications, sent letters to WPT and ESPN threatening legal action.

According to the report, WPT is seeking undisclosed damages and court costs, as well as a "declaration that WPT upheld its side of the contract, while the defendants breached their obligations."
Old 09-22-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: \"world poker\" firm suing travel channel

first, someone throws a fake buyout offer during the WSOP, with no backing, no substance, and pure rumor - drives prices up a bit for what is believed to be a stagnant enterprise...

now they're suing - this reminds me of SCO Unix and the tactics it used to inflate stock prices right before going under..

RB
Old 09-22-2005, 11:41 AM

I smell desperation
Old 09-22-2005, 01:10 PM

too many lawyers

thats all im sure of
Old 09-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Good Lord! Do we need another poker tournament on TV? If WPTE has any sense at all they will concentrate on getting their online poker site profitable. That's where the real money in this business is.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM

These are for the PPT events, which they're hoping to get on the air and recoup the 2.5m they've lost so far on them. Since they're already been completed, one would hope they don't need to break out the McEachern/Chad combination for commentary.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one would hope they don't need to break out the McEachern/Chad combination for commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the commentary has been completed for a while now. I recall that Mark Seif was one of the commentators.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM

Yes Mark is in the VVP role of the duo who commentate. A possibility is that ESPN's regular duo would just provide their own voiceover to the action at the table.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Exactly. If you dig back in the wpt site. (sorry I just do not feel like going there and finding it at this time) One of there money hungry lawyers even went after a small tournament organization in Ohio just because they where giving a seat to a wpt event. ????? The hell with em. Send the winners to the WSOP or another major event.

---------
I like poker for the game not the limelight. I could give a dam about being on TV.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 AM

It wasn't because they were giving away a WPT seat; it was because they declared themselves an "official" WPT satellite tournament, which wasn't true and it was trademark infringement.