Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2004, 05:18 PM

Default 3-Card Poker with Wild Cards

Starting playing and studying online hold'em about 8 months ago. I had always played cards with my friends but we played 3-card poker with five wilds cards(King [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
King of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Jack of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Jack of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the Queen of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
After reading and studying cards and specifically reading Theory of Poker, I began to try and think about this game and specifically what the best strategy would be.
The betting structure is a fixed ante, say .50. Then if you are in the hand after you see your three cards you must pay the pot if you lose. So at a six man table the first pot would be $3.00, say three people stay in, one wins $3, the other 2 lose $3.00 and the pot doubles. The is usually a cap on what you can pay into the pot but not pot size. So maximum pay $10.00 even if the pot is more than $10.
It is a draw game, and you can draw one card but two with an Ace. Top hand is a Set, the St8 flush, etc.
After thinking about odds, pot size, etc. I feel like this game is based almost purely on luck. The number of wilds, the lack of typical betting, and paying the pot all combing to really limit any skill besides waiting for a pat hand set. Can anyone tell me how they would approach this game? Not play is my opinion now but perhaps I am not smart enough to see a good strategy. Thanks. -MrG
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: 3-Card Poker with Wild Cards

Top hand should be a straight flush unless someone figured out the effect of the wildcards that changed it.

3-card poker is: Straight flush, set, straight, flush, pair, Ace-high

Don't wait for a set- pairs and good draws (high straights and straight flush draws) can be good.

We play this without wild cards and getting two cards and drawing for one extra card.