Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: BB vs SB bigstack: facing flop mini-bet

[ QUOTE ]
If I really think that the SB is making this play with any two cards, I would jam this flop. Sometimes he has me beat and I lose, but the vast vast vast majority of the time I pick up 300 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that I could count on you to give an opinion other than folding on this hand! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It was tempting, but I just went back to playing robotic SNG survival poker. I think it's an interesting hand at least. Sometimes I wish I had the guts to make plays like you do, but I still had 11 BBs or whatever, which of course, helps my FE but makes the play less necessary. Quite a predicament.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:45 PM

When do the blinds rise?
I just had an original thought (for me) so this is most likely to be a bad idea.

Anyway here it goes. As a 2+2er, Hero has an edge on the field mostly when his stack is between 4 and 10 BB's = time to shove. So maybe committing a portion of our stack to this hand so that, if we loose, Hero will drop into this zone? Of course, if the blinds rise soon we are there already...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I wish I had the guts to make plays like you do, but I still had 11 BBs or whatever, which of course, helps my FE but makes the play less necessary. Quite a predicament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a hard hand because you have the ugliest possible stack size for this. But sometimes you just have to go with your instincts... opponent was extremely aggressive.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

SB (t965)
BB (t9850)
Hero (t2685)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t400.

Flop: (t1050) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2060</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t3510
Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a hard hand because you have the ugliest possible stack size for this. But sometimes you just have to go with your instincts... opponent was extremely aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he had a flush draw? Or do you think you actually moved him off an A? If the answer to both of these questions is no, why not let him keep firing?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When do the blinds rise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds went to 75-150 the very next hand.

I guess the point of my post (and many of my posts) is this: By playing ABC poker, I've been able to achieve very good results on the lower levels. But, I would like to improve as a player. When I go with my instincts, I'm often correct. (Certainly not always by any stretch of the imagination.) My instincts told me that this was a bigstack just auto-betting the flop. Would pushing here be a fish move OR are plays like this what separates the top players from the good players? Meh.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:55 PM

If I have a good read on SB and know that he will CB a lot in these situations, I may just call here even though it seems weak.

I've seen a lot of these where guys will always fire at least one shot from the SB, and then check it down to the river if they're called. You could call one bet, and then either fold to another bet on the turn, check behind, or fire your own shot on the turn if it's checked to you.

This pretty much depends on a good read, though.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he had a flush draw? Or do you think you actually moved him off an A? If the answer to both of these questions is no, why not let him keep firing?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have had a lot of things but there was a straight draw on that board too, and I felt like I already got paid and just wanted to take the pot down.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Would pushing here be a fish move OR are plays like this what separates the top players from the good players? Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this question. Both pushing here 100% and folding here 100% are fish moves IMO, but folding 100% is certainly not as big of a mistake as pushing 100%. I would say that you should push here against the right opponent with a read to maximize EV, but doing that is only slightly higher EV than just letting it go.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM

damit, you guys are highjacking my post and ingenious plan to do neither! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damit, you guys are highjacking my post and ingenious plan to do neither! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

We only have a pair of 8s, he has two overs such a huge % of the time that we are ahead that we can't give him a free card. What if we call and then the turn is another over? He could have literally any two so if he fires again we have to fold.

I would not push bottom pair on the flop.