Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Fever Pitch remake

You both describe it well, the britishness of the book. What I remember strongly from the book, from years ago, is that soccer fills certain voids in his life and takes on an incredible importance.

I just feel like soccer's relation to its fans throughout the world has a different importance than sports here do. That is a controversial statement perhaps but it is that feeling of hopefullness and hopelessness that they won't be able to capture.

I don't think the movie did a perfect job from what I remember, I think they turned it more into a love story. I do like Colin Firth.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the Britishness of Hornby's writing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Rogers Hornsby was British. And since when did he write books? And why would he have written about soccer instead of baseball in the first place? I don't get it.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Shut up.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:20 PM

I don't understand why Americans have to do this so often. The book is not even about football. If they want to make a film about baseball for commercial reasons, then write a new script.

So Hornby is quintessentially British. Wtp? If you like this, fine. If you don't fine too. But why take something that it is very popular, and very British, and just alter it so it is American and hope it will work?

There have been 3 American remakes of Fawlty Towers. They all sucked. The original is a classic. The USA has taken popular comedies such as Coupling and Men Behaving Badly, and rewritten them because they were too British. Both remakes flopped. The Office is the best comedy for at least 10 years. It is nigh on perfect. It is very dry, very British. It works very well. However, TV execs. think that Americans won't get it, so they are remaking it. It will suck, I guarantee. We had a programme entitled "Cracker". It was about an obese (Robbie Coltrane), alcoholic, chain smoking, gambling addict, serial cheater on his wife, who swore every other word. That was part of the appeal of the dark, gritty show which was about twisted minds and how to get into them. It was critically acclaimed over here, but rather than buying the original, it was remade for the U.S. Now the hero was a young, handsome, fit, non smokin, non drinking, non gambling nice guy. Guess what? The show flopped!

Stop doing it! Release British films and T.V for people who like it. There are 300 million people in the U.S.A and plenty of them are very smart and open minded. It also contains plenty of people inventive enough to write an original script with an American flavour.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I don't understand why Americans have to do this so often. The book is not even about football. If they want to make a film about baseball for commercial reasons, then write a new script.

So Hornby is quintessentially British. Wtp? If you like this, fine. If you don't fine too. But why take something that it is very popular, and very British, and just alter it so it is American and hope it will work?

There have been 3 American remakes of Fawlty Towers. They all sucked. The original is a classic. The USA has taken popular comedies such as Coupling and Men Behaving Badly, and rewritten them because they were too British. Both remakes flopped. The Office is the best comedy for at least 10 years. It is nigh on perfect. It is very dry, very British. It works very well. However, TV execs. think that Americans won't get it, so they are remaking it. It will suck, I guarantee. We had a programme entitled "Cracker". It was about an obese (Robbie Coltrane), alcoholic, chain smoking, gambling addict, serial cheater on his wife, who swore every other word. That was part of the appeal of the dark, gritty show which was about twisted minds and how to get into them. It was critically acclaimed over here, but rather than buying the original, it was remade for the U.S. Now the hero was a young, handsome, fit, non smokin, non drinking, non gambling nice guy. Guess what? The show flopped!

Stop doing it! Release British films and T.V for people who like it. There are 300 million people in the U.S.A and plenty of them are very smart and open minded. It also contains plenty of people inventive enough to write an original script with an American flavour.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention Absolutely Fabulous. Didn't they remake it in the states, but remove most of the smoking, drinking, drug references, crassness and swearing? I never saw it but always wondered what would be left.

Edit: I think US audiences - as a whole - don't generally tolerate watching stuff set in other/unfamiliar surroundings. So everything gets remade and set in an apartment in New York with the generic characters, or something like that. However, I've met loads of americans who rave about fawlty towers or father ted or some such show; it's just they don't make up the mass of tv audiences.

The rest of the world happily watches stuff set elsewhere (mainly US) cos that's where the huge bulk of TV and cinema comes from, but the other way round doesn't happen so readily.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:06 PM

Yeah they remade Ab Fab but I hate that show.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? I'm not a good kid? I don't get more words than that?