Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you only play live games?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Best 6-max experience for money/learning?

Many of you saw my last post about the ultra-tight stars full ring. I decided to make a new post because I've got a few options now to decide on.

I have a $625 bankroll, just about 0 experience at 6-max, and am looking to stay away from party for a month or so (to see how the whole rakeback thing ends up, I've got an offer, but I don't want to jump in too early only to get screwed by party shutting all of the affils down).

I'm looking for a site that supports PT well, and PokerAce well. Not that I necessarily need it, but I would enjoy all of the advantages I can get. My goal at this point in time is to make money. I want to become a better player as well, but I would love to get the roll up and start moving up and out of microlimits. I usually 4-tabling full ring.

Please note I already cleared the current stars bonus.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Best 6-max experience for money/learning?

I would start playing .25/.50 (or .5/1) 6-max where you can find it (probably Stars) with your BR, maybe a couple tables at a time. The dynamics of SH play will seem a lot different, and will help improve your results at full ring, but I wouldn't expect to be making real money right away (although low-limit SH can be very profitable). The swings can seem ridiculous, I've had 100BB swings in a day, either way, so you might want to start at a level lower than you usually play.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:23 PM

I like Absolute a lot, especially now that hand histories are automatically stored to your hard drive. That facilitates use of HUD's like PokerAce or GameTime+. You can only 3 table, but at 6 max that's about right, at leas for me. I'm not sure where Absolute got the reputation as a "rock garden." Maybe in the past, but there's plenty of fish and maniacs now. Plus you get never ending bonuses and [unmentionable] that isn't subtracted from your bonuses. Very nice!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:43 PM

I've found Absolute to have a similar table dynamic to stars. Tough full ring. Soft 6 max. I don't think Empire is now any softer. I'd go with Stars, which has low rake (better than RB at Empire, I think) or Absolute, which has similar rake to Empire, but is compensated by bonus+RB.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 PM

Does PT support the absolute hand histories yet? I noticed they were in a drastically different format.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:12 PM

There's a beta patch out now. Check the forums.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:10 PM

Default 6-max guide?

Im not sure but, isnt there a 6-max guide posted somewhere in this forum? I tried to search with no success...
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 PM

I'm sure you know of the approach to 6-max, where UTG is hijack, UTG+1 is CO, no open-limping, etc.

I recommend playing 0.25/0.50 or less in shorthanded games on stars. It's not 6-handed but it's definitely got the feel to it. There's a 2+2er called JulianB who I think finds the 0.25/0.50 SH games. If it bores you, then 0.50/1.00. I played 1/2 6-max last night and the swings are crazy because of the terrible and overaggressive players.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:26 PM

If you do start out at .25/.50 6max, I'd suggest UltimateBet. I'm there right now, b/c I wanted to get in 6max work before going to .50/1, and they offer .25/.50 6m and full.

also, they have like a 40/50% deposit bonus, and that service there's a new 2+2 forum for. the knock against their bonus is that it clears so slowly. but the plus is that it actually can clear at .25/.50. when i play 6max, it clears at about $1.50/hr, which is a pretty poor rate compared to abs or pp, but they require .50/1 for any substantial clearance at all. the sofware at UB is very good, and the mini view will let you multitable on a small screen.

hope that helped.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: 6-max guide?

Wook posted this a while back. I put a link on the FAQ, but there you are anyhow. This may or may not be what you are looking for, but you should find it helpful.