Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Shorthanded micro-limit play

Edit: I should say- I am reading the HUSH- but most of the discussion there seems to be 6max. I'm interested in micro limit full table shorthanded play, which may or may not be different! If this should be in HUSH, please feel free to shift

Early last month there was in interesting discussion of Table selection where some repsected poster said that they tend to table select by sittign down at an empty table and waiting for players to sit down, arguing that people who sit down at a shorthanded table at micro limits tend not to be very good.

Interesting Idea, I thought, and proceeded to try it out. certainly I've discovered that at Micro limits you get very bad players playing 2/3 handed limit.

Unfortunately, I've also discovered that I'm one of them and that I suck.

So, smart people, what advice would you give under the following circumstances.

1. Opponent is passive calling station, who raises turn bets if more than second pair, but calls down with A highs and low pairs.

2. Opponent is ultra LAG, calling/raising practically every blind and leading 70% plus of flops and turn. (this seems, rather pathetically, my type of play).

Specifically, how does your small blind/button hand selection change against these players?

What would you tend to lead flop with?

What would you check/call down on?

As i've been (over) aggressive, I'm faced with a lot of turn C/Rs. What should I do to a) stop getting caught like this, and B) When C/Rd holding 2nd/3rd pair?

I admit, I'm at sea here.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded micro-limit play

[ QUOTE ]
1. Opponent is passive calling station, who raises turn bets if more than second pair, but calls down with A highs and low pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call his turn raises with worse than top pair. Value bet your middle pairs and don't bluff the river.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Opponent is ultra LAG, calling/raising practically every blind and leading 70% plus of flops and turn. (this seems, rather pathetically, my type of play).

[/ QUOTE ]

Play hands that like to see showdowns, and get to the showdown without making every hand an expensive confrontation.

[ QUOTE ]
As i've been (over) aggressive, I'm faced with a lot of turn C/Rs. What should I do to a) stop getting caught like this, and B) When C/Rd holding 2nd/3rd pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think villain is aggressive enough to bluff check-raise, then check the turn and call any bet on the river.

Heads up play is more aggressive, but it's not about blind aggression. Get to know the villains and play in a way that capitalizes on their weaknesses. Also, study your play and learn what your weaknesses are so that you can fix them.