Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 01:10 PM

Default General question about stealing...

Yesterday in the I played the party 25k guaranteed(finished 61 shouldve been higher misplayed KJ). Anyway I was card dead for much of the tourney but when I got a hand it was huge. During my dry spells I would raise with any two and pick up the blinds. I was at the same table after the 1st hour which was with about 1000 left. After a while of picking up blinds one guy who eventually became chip leader just kept telling the whole table I was stealing and to call me as I had crap all the time. He was right but what do I do in this situation. I finally got caught late in the tourney with 95o as a middle stack went all in but i had over 2 to 1 on my call so I called he had A5o and that was that for stealing. So what do I do in this situation when the table is revolting against my stealing ways?

Btw thanks so much to everyone for teaching me to steal as when I started playing mtt's a month or two ago I was very weak tight and would never steal.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: General question about stealing...

just show down a few good non stealing hands.

actually, it depends on what you want to do- in this case i might not even show down my good hands cause i want my big hands to get PAID.

know what i mean? just keep them guessing as to whether you've got the goods or not.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:23 PM

it always makes me unhappy to do it, but when i get called out for stealing a lot i pull back. not a ton, but i go from my usual aggro to a more normal style. btw, i consider myself quite aggro and never steal any two (except near the bubble).
Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 PM

schwza when I was stealing a lot it was near the bubble and ITM. 220 got paid 2k in the tourney. What hands would u steal with here then if not any two???
Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 01:44 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about what they are saying since sooner or leter you'll actually have a hand and you hope that's when they look you up.

Just make sure you're selective about who you steal from and be an equal opportunity thief. I hate going after the same guy too much cause sooner or later even the weakest player will make a stand.

I am also 1 to prefer to steal with something that may develop into a hand like 2 suited cards or connectors or 1 gappers.

As far as calling there getting 2-1 with the 95o, I would love to hear other opinions on this, but I don't usually call my steal attempts when someone pushes back unless I'm getting at least 3-1. Those chips in my opinion are too valuable to use for a future steal or when I have a moster to extract maximum value.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:13 PM

This is a good time to change gears, if somebody is broadcasting you are running over the table through stealing, then tighten up a bit and hope to get a good hand. Thats not to say stop stealing entirely, you shouldn't let somebody's words dictate how to play, but try to use his comments to your advantage to get action on premium hands.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
schwza when I was stealing a lot it was near the bubble and ITM. 220 got paid 2k in the tourney. What hands would u steal with here then if not any two???
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

umm.... better than average cards? i'm not sure how to answer your question exactly as it depends on ~ 1 billion things.

btw, i'm much more interesting in stealing than when you're barely in the money. the payouts are pretty flat for a while (and totally flat from 180-220 or so), so smaller stacks will (correctly) see a hand like KQ against an aggro guy and decide to take a shot.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:30 PM

Well 3 times the blinds went all in on me after this comment. But I didn't stop. Later on I had KJ at the co folded to me raised 3 times the BB, BB calls. 103J flop. BB does a stop and go. I instant call as I know he is making a move on me and I have tpgk. He turns over A10 my KJ holds up and I take him out. After this table was more willing to cooperate in donating their blinds to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 PM

I try to mix up my steals, not just pre-flop. Depending on the player, I sometimes call the flop and if there is a good board to bluff at, I'll try to take the flop down with a bet. Most people don't expect a steal from the flop and it makes it harder to call with nothing if they don't hit the flop.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Yea I agree here, I try to steal in situations where I have position or I have a moderate hand that has some potential in case I get called

Tk