Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Should i call this ? Party 30k guaranteed

Some background info. Almost 800 people had been eliminated at this point and I had barely played a hand. I was card dead all day. I had A10o twice but a raise and call in front of me made me throw it away twice. My table image therefore is tight. Villain on the other hand was very very loose. He was a lot of hands and was getting lucky with garbage. I saw him limp with 74s from utg and make his flush on the river. Also early in the tourney had almost lost his entire stack with K8o when he raised pf(he was miniraising and raising with about everything with the occasional call) got a caller on a king high flop,caller had KK. He got it back on some lucky flops that kept hitting him. 64o, Ax,Kx. I wanted to see a cheap flop so I called.

***** Hand History for Game 1930814147 *****
50/100 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 11506905) - Thu Apr 21 22:32:18 EDT 2005
Table $25,000 Guaranteed(313820) Table 121 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: simbathecat (845)
Seat 2: JH007 (3925)
Seat 3: I_got_screwd (1670)
Seat 4: playnpoka (405)
Seat 5: LearningKid (1975)
Seat 6: Rajulio (475)
Seat 7: White_Bean (1690)
Seat 8: donfarha (525)
Seat 9: Dabazi4u (1620)
Seat 10: fla_mom (1880)
I_got_screwd posts small blind (25)
playnpoka posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to simbathecat [ 7d, 6s ]
LearningKid folds.
Rajulio folds.
White_Bean folds.
donfarha folds.
Dabazi4u calls (50)
fla_mom folds.
simbathecat calls (50)
JH007 folds.
I_got_screwd folds.
playnpoka checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 2d, 4h, 6h ]
playnpoka checks.
Dabazi4u bets (50)
simbathecat raises (200) to 200
playnpoka folds.
Dabazi4u raises (750) to 800
simbathecat ....?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Should i call this ? Party 30k guaranteed

Calling is awful here. Suited, possibly. But 67o? And calling a bet of 50 with 3 people behind you?

This is a VERY easy fold. Only got yourself into trouble with a very marginal hand against a very wild player. You want to take big hands to battle with him, not an offsuit loser.

Fold preflop. Then fold again when he reraises you.

Nick
Old 04-22-2005, 03:30 PM

What is your chip stack. If you only have 1000, I might re-raise against loose players raise with your image. (unless this player would have no clue you've been playing tight) Or just fold, probably my best choice. If you have plenty of chips to call, call and see if he bets again, then I might re-raise on the turn if bet, if checked bet out. If I get re-raised at any point I re-evaluate. I hate giving loose players the lead. Just my style though.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:51 PM

Why are you limping for 7% of your stack w/ 65o and ppl to act behind you?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:00 PM

Chief I was Co and only 3 people to the flop not 3 people behind me. Loose player me and BB. Also I had a pretty good read on loose player. My chip stack was dwindling and I had T845 and after my raise on the flop ~T600.
Chris I was at this table the whole time since the tourney started thats why I know unless he was not paying attention I was seen as a tight player.
Also villain had bluffed on huge raises putting poeple all in then showed garbage like Qx and 54o once they folded. I raised on the flop because I was fairly confident I was ahead and that he probably had overcards and was trying to bluff me like he had others.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Sounds like you were waiting for big hands, got fed up with that, and played a mediocre hand and tried to make something happen.

I fold here.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:12 PM

I wasnt waiting for big hands per se. I got hands that weren't good for the moment. Like KJ on a raised and two cold called pot. Villain and others like to raise huge so this table was pretty loose. On 20 dollar blinds raises were in the 150-200 range. Finally at around the time of this hand there were fewer raises. But you are right that I got fed up of not playing any hands. I shouldve folded this one preflop but I was confident I could outplay Villain here since he was a maniac.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. whoa. it was 76o.

to the op, against this kind of laggy villain with short stacks, you don't want 76o type hands. you want KQo type hands. you're just trying to make TPGK and get the money in on the flop. 76o is miserable when villain might be playing K7o. the time that 76o is good is when you're playing with much deeper stacks and the villain is going to be playing with big cards that don't muck up your outs.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Chris I was at this table the whole time since the tourney started thats why I know unless he was not paying attention I was seen as a tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd be surprised how many people aren't.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. whoa. it was 76o.

to the op, against this kind of laggy villain with short stacks, you don't want 76o type hands. you want KQo type hands. you're just trying to make TPGK and get the money in on the flop. 76o is miserable when villain might be playing K7o. the time that 76o is good is when you're playing with much deeper stacks and the villain is going to be playing with big cards that don't muck up your outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think of it this way. I think it was just a matter of me getting anxious being card dead and seeing that it was laggy villain and me. Other than playing the hand to begin with what other mistakes did I make. Is my flop raise justified? I did it because I was almost certain that this flop had not hit him. Yes I know he is a laggy and he could be playing any two but his pattern pattern was what made me 99% sure he had not hit this. He bet the minimum and 3 times before he did this first to act and folded to a big raise or actions behind him. Check folded the turn when he just got called. Anyway this was my read on him. Thoughts?