Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Default New player, looking for an experienced players perspective

I've been playing for about 3 months now and I just found out about this forum about 2 weeks ago. I've done a lot of reading and from what my limited experience shows me is that I have two playing styles. Tight aggressive and loose aggressive. I tend to play tight aggressive and do very well, being able to tell what my opponents have or at least whether I am beat or not. As soon as I win a decent amount of money I start raising at the wrong times and think that my opponent is always bluffing. I have also been playing in stakes that my bankroll can't handle which is something I am changing since reading posts. What does this sound like to you guys. A good start that just needs experience. A new fish who thinks he's good. I tend to be a very pessimistic person and think that if I'm not better than everyone quickly, I really just don't have what it takes. Thanks for reading and any feedback is welcome. I can handle honesty.

Thanx
Old 04-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: New player, looking for an experienced players perspective

[ QUOTE ]

I tend to be a very pessimistic person and think that if I'm not better than everyone quickly, I really just don't have what it takes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is not for you.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:07 PM

Hi Chris,

There is so much material written on this subject, so my advice is to keep an open mind and know that with every session that you play, there is always something to learn and improve on. Tight/Aggressive to you now may be Loose/Passive in one year's time. It's all relative. You have so little experience right now that to be pessimistic would be silly. Study the game, read books, post hands, be willing to learn and most importantly, enjoy playing...it's only a game. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:17 PM

That may be true now Demana, but do you remember how you thought when you first started to play? I think we all started off a little "wharfy."

Poker is a LONG TERM game. You must self-evaluate over the course of thousands and thousands and thousands of hands. If you really like instant gratification, then Demana is right. Otherwise, relax a bit and adjust your attitude.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That may be true now Demana, but do you remember how you thought when you first started to play? I think we all started off a little "wharfy."

Poker is a LONG TERM game. You must self-evaluate over the course of thousands and thousands and thousands of hands. If you really like instant gratification, then Demana is right. Otherwise, relax a bit and adjust your attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said what I meant, though a bit nicer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Poker is an extremely long term learning experience and someone who already says that they do not have the patience for that type of endeavor would be better learning a non-money orientated game, like chess, backgammon, or bridge. One in which there is a clear winner and loser after each game and the long term does not need to be thought of in the same way.

Poker is also an extrmely humbling game and if that same person choose to try to shift their thinking to the long term and accept their weaknesses and grow, then perhaps poker would be a worthwhile pursuit.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a non-money orientated game, like chess, backgammon, or bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything can (or can be made not to be) money-oriented. You can play poker for "fun" where you and your friends get together and each have 1000 "chips" and see who has them all at the end of the night. It's a perfectly acceptable mental exercise, just as it is to play a three-out-of-five series of chess games.

Everything can be gambled on; anything can be played for fun.

My friend and I make silly bets on stupid things constantly amongst ourselves (much like on that long-gone treasure known as "Ed") because if we pass $50 one-way one day, we know it'll go back the next, and it's irrelevant.

Or we could do the same without the money.

The key is whether you want to risk money or not -- as you'll find people who will play EVERYTHING for money if you want, including chess, bridge, and backgammon.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 04-20-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as I win a decent amount of money I start raising at the wrong times and think that my opponent is always bluffing. I have also been playing in stakes that my bankroll can't handle which is something I am changing since reading posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds a lot like me. For awhile I had a tough time giving my opponents credit for a hand, especially after playing tight and earning a small profit. I'd be wary of playing too many hands once you're up a little bit. Somethimes you just have to sit and fold. BTW, do u play limit/no-limit/tournaments? How 'bout stakes and bankroll?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM

I find my style works better in NL, especially in tournaments. I do best in SnG's and MTT's. I like the strategy of a tournament as opposed to a more static game like ring poker. Also it helps me because I just place one bet so it allows me to be more aggressive. At least that's what I've learned from my experience thus far. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:01 PM

No-limit may be the best game you can play. At least that's how it looks. Any fool (not saying that you are) can sit down in a no-limit game, win a couple pots, and start raising people out of pots. But how long do you think that will last? A session or two maybe? Short term wins are nothing in the big picture. You need to forget about how good you think you are or could be and start leaning as much as possible.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The key is whether you want to risk money or not -- as you'll find people who will play EVERYTHING for money if you want, including chess, bridge, and backgammon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a group of guys who play Monopoly with real money instead of the funny money.

Backgammon and Bridge are routinely played for money.