Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on seeking your own level

[ QUOTE ]

As far as finding a level goes, once your game is solid it's really just a matter of how much losing you want to put up with. If you can beat the $109's, you can beat everything below it as well. Each step down you make a little less, but you have less lossing days also. Sometimes (like now!) I wonder if I wouldn't be happier just 12 tabling .5/1 or $11's. You could still make ok money and you could count the losing days in a month on one hand. Sounds nice! Unfortunately playing those games with a $10k plus bankroll just seems rediculous.
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

most people want to be playing the game they can make the most $ per hour...11s vs 109s is a big difference, 109s vs 1065s, again huge difference...
Old 05-19-2005, 05:30 PM

true up to a point, but my point was the extra $/hour comes at a definate price. Say a player can 4 table $55's for 15% ROI. Thats about $33 per set. If that same player can beat the $11's for 40%, thats $17.6 per set, and the sets are shorter. So, going up 5x in limit, you go up about 1.6x in $/hour and have much more losing days to work through.

Steve
Old 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM

I haven't read this thread, but one piece of sort of relevant advice is: You have to be tough as nails to win at poker. You have to be able to stick it out through everything, just visualize that it is always an uphill climb, because it will be that most of the time, always be determined and always focus on playing the next set to the best of your ability, never leak and never assume you will win, or coast.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
true up to a point, but my point was the extra $/hour comes at a definate price. Say a player can 4 table $55's for 15% ROI. Thats about $33 per set. If that same player can beat the $11's for 40%, thats $17.6 per set, and the sets are shorter. So, going up 5x in limit, you go up about 1.6x in $/hour and have much more losing days to work through.

[/ QUOTE ]

have some balls lacky. yes, of course you will have lower variance and way fewer losing days playing a lower limit, and yes, you will make less. yes, you will have greater piece of mind. NO you wont make as much. DING DING DING. ill play anything that i can make the most at. period. doesnt really matter to me. if it was 20 tabling the 10+1s, i would do that. (probably pretty tough, but id give it a shot).

for every player, they will have a bell curve type of graph if they were to chart the amount of money they could make per hour at each level. one of the keys to professional poker is to find the peak of your mountain.

holla
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Move up whenever you get the BR, and be prepared for the smackdown, since you never know how much your rising BR is due to positive variance.

FWIW, I tend to use option 2, since I'm a firm believer in the idea that time is money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Response to your FWIW at bottom

Scott, you and I have been playing similar levels for some time now. I played some number of $20s, not really sure haven’t looked at my PT database, but it does not really matter. I moved up as my confidence from beating the play at the $20s. The confidence fore mostly and bankroll secondly allowed me to make the leap to the $30s. My feeling was always, I can move down if need be, we are still playing with 800 chips …

From my challenge, which I got cocky with, thinking I could eight table the $30s having hardly played a significant set beat up me like a red headed set child. Well I dropped 30 buyins VERY quickly after having a nice 10 buyin upswing. That’s alright; I blew all the money in my Empire account and was forced to four table. You would think I’d learn. Hell no! I ended up enjoying variance up after having dropped 30 in a brief run to return my roll to 30+. Naturally, “Maulik, you’re awesome,” back to eight tabling. I blew $500 or so eight tabling, back to square one 4 tabling.

This led in my results after ~300 tournaments to be breakeven. This led me to believe I was making numerous mistakes and I took a one day break in my challenge and looked over many HHs. I posted a ton for a few nights and that brought my confidence back up to speed. This allowed me to the security of playing the $33s while not moving back down. (I was sure I’m a winner at the $20s). That’s what the bankroll is for. In retrospect eight tabling is stupid for me … it slows down the learning curve. Additionally, eight tabling did not allow me to assess each situation and reflect upon my options. Four tabling allowed me to post specific hands while I was tabling, which was nice, immediate feedback throughout eight hour sets.

For starting a new level, which will be the $50+5… I do not want to move back down to the $30+3, so I’ll move up when I have a very high confidence level in the $30s. Why? It’s a different game, I do not want to go back and forth between managing 800 and 1000 chips. If I run hot, fantastic, it will make my initial run that much easier. If I run terribly, my bankroll will allow me to not worry about it and keep playing.

p.s. I’m not sure if any of this helped, it seems more so to be a story rather than anything else.

Re: FWIW – time is money, but I’d rather become a better player while breaking even at a higher level than just ‘grind it’ for a few bucks. Eventually, I’ll want more so why not go up.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:56 PM

yeah, well, how meny $11's have you seen me play? I spend most of my time split evenly between the highest level I know I can beat and the next higher level, hoping I can beat it for more. It's the correct way to grow as a player and continue to move up, but sometimes I think staying at a level/game that you have a solid long term record at for 6 months would be a nice break from the stress. If I had played only $55's, 5/10 limit, and mid buy-in MTT's this year I would be way ahead of the $30k I'm at for the year. So far $109's, $215's, and 15/30 have been a waste of time earnings wise. The fact that the higher games are a struggle probably means there are still holes in my play (nothing new there)

Steve
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM

if it werent for pai gow/step 5s i would be way ahead of where im at for the year. holla
Old 05-19-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it werent for pai gow/step 5s i would be way ahead of where im at for the year. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

when are we going to see a raptor make a "pai gow is rigged" post?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when are we going to see a raptor make a "pai gow is rigged" post?

[/ QUOTE ]

already have made a few of them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 PM

push

Andre