Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Early mornings on Party...

First, an odd and maybe ridiculous question… Does anyone notice that they seem to be more successful at the table at one time of day versus another? I’m not necessarily saying you play differently, though your opponents certainly may be. I’ve noticed that when I play Party Poker early in the morning I tend to have good sessions. I think in the pre-9 a.m. area (playing before work) I’ve logged five winning sessions in a row and some of them for 25 BB or more. Maybe people are asleep out there? Not playing as aggressive?

For what it’s worth, that may well have been me this morning (the asleep one). I was completely blindsided when my flush ran into a boat (never considered the possibility), and played some short-handed hands too aggressively.

One hand from this morning. I wasn’t sure if I made the right decision – I think in this situation I could actually have justified a call, a raise or maybe a fold. Of course I went with the fold, but am I wrong in thinking any of these options would play?

I’m on the button and find A4d. Two limpers to me, I call, the SB drops and the BB checks. Four to the flop. ** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7h, 6d, 2s ] … Missed, and I’m ready to fold this one. But it gets checked around, and the turn is the 8d. I’ve picked up a gutshot straight draw and the nut flush draw. At this point there is 2.25 BB in the pot. BB checks and EP bets out. One caller and the action is on me. 4.25 BB in the pot. I’m getting 4-1 on my flush/gutshot draw and possibly have the best hand as it stands (though not likely, someone has a pair here I think). I do the obvious and fold.

Maybe this is why mornings are paying me off? I’m usually a little more awake than others…

BB calls, and the three go to the river without me. Was this an easy call, and maybe a raise?
Old 04-15-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Early mornings on Party...

I do the obvious and fold.

Let me rephrase: You do the obvious and make a horrible fold. You have a nut flush draw. You're getting odds for that alone. You also have 3 very probably outs to the A as well as 3 outs to your gutshot. This turn call is a no brainer. Drink some coffee before you play next time.

The choice is between raising and calling. If you think that you can move these guys off their low pairs, then by all means, raise. I'd be more inclined to raise with the button, so that I could check behind on the river if I missed. Your hand is WAY to strong to fold on the turn.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:32 AM

...that's what I came up with (after the fold, of course). I'm not sure I count the 5 as an out since it gives me the lowest straight, but the three aces are probably good and any to my flush. Awful fold, you're right.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:11 AM

Cup is right. Even if you take into account the lack of cleanliness of the A and 5 outs, or even disregard them completely, you should still call. The odds of making the flush alone is 4.1:1, which means there doesn't have to be much in the pot on the turn to make a call correct (if you take implied odds into consideration). Since the A and 5 outs will be clean some of the time it makes the call even easier. Have a good one.

-- Homer