Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: DERB

Figured I'd offer my insight into this thread so my voice is heard.

"DERB still sucks bad at 10 handed limit hold 'em."

Be safe out there guys.
-James
Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 PM

after reading these hands it is quite clear he is the best player ever. anyone that doesnt agree is clearly not thinking on the highest level. i hereby would like to round up funds to stake derb in the biggest games.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:32 PM

Now this post and the history is starting to make sense. I have a few thousand hands against him and I found him an uncomfortable but beatable opponent.

I felt my better hand selection and selective aggression preflop alone would be hard for him to overcome.

Edit to say I reread the thread and agree with this comment by Paluka:

[ QUOTE ]
I was in the camp that said DERB was probably a loser against the solid players who recognize him for what he is, but that he destroys the weak players to a much greater degree than a more straightforward player like myself might.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I agree with the first part and I think the second is certainly possible.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: DERB fund.

I'm sure I'm alone in this...

Discussing the strategy around this guy's play is one thing, because it might be productive. Also, it's good to discuss if any evidence comes in that might point to his cheating. But that doesn't seem to be the case otherwise, he wouldn't be so dumb about it.

But something doesn't sit right with me having the entire +2+2 crowd publicly ganging up and picking apart one player. I can't explain it. It just doesn't seem right.

If the guy ISN'T cheating, you guys are making him a folk hero. I'm all for him and hoping he's just an exceptional player laughing at all of us.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:38 PM

Party Poker 30.00/60.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">DERB raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, DERB calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
DERB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, DERB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">DERB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">DERB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">DERB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
DERB has As 7s (a pair of aces.)
Hero has Ad Qh (a pair of aces.)
Hero wins 12.70 BB.
</font>
Old 11-02-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be safe out there guys.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

this should be your new signature, lol.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:49 PM

I think some people in HUSH emulate the DERB strategy (from what I can tell from these posts, having never played against him) - albeit, probably not on purpose.

Playing 6 max I see people who are probably 2+2'ers 3 bet TAG players with hands like AJo, or I even saw a guy cap with KQs after the action went - loose/average open raises UTG, solid TAG 3-bets in CO, possible 2+2'er caps with KQs.

These guys are playing with 32/24 type of stats. Three betting tons from the SB/BB against steal raises (same guy as noted above 3-bet J9o from the SB against my open raise on the button).

I know 6 max is a lot different than 10 handed but these 32/24 stats are also very intersting IMO. I can't see how I could get my numbers that high player 6 max.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 AM

Seems to me he plays very well from these hands
Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: More Derb Hands

great selections.

derb seems to follow your account status [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

seriously though, he likes to check and slowplay to induce action it seems. and he balances that with turn raises and river plays that seem nonsensical in isolation but are beginning to make sense.

Barron
Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 AM

I think DERB must be making his money by:

1) Getting people to fold when they shouldn't (or alternatively)

1A) Getting people to call him down very light

2) Getting excessive action from second best hands
(or alternatively)

2A) Preventing his opponents from getting maximum value when they're ahead.

Perhaps many of us are underestimating how often his style of play can lead to the first, and perhaps his overall metagame ensures that vast majority of his opponents will have a hard time correctly balancing their play against him and slip into one of the above categories.

Maybe someone that has a very large database can compare DERB's $ won w/o showdown to that of a solid winner with 2+2 17/12 type stats over a large sample.

Also, a comparison of BB/hand with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKs, AKo, AQs would probably be helpful.