Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Agassi v. Blake

Wow...I just finished watching the US Open quarterfinal between Agassi and James Blake, and that was one of the best matches I have seen in a long time, maybe ever. Fifth set tiebreak with some ridiculous winners and rallies sprinkled throughout. Both were extremely gracious after the match also. These kinds of matches are great for tennis.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Agassi v. Blake

indeed
Awsome match
No Samphras/Agassi though but an extremely entertaining and well played match.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 AM

I think that was the first time I can remember where I literally changed who I was cheering for every game/point because all I really cared about was for the match to continue...

The quality of tennis being played deep into the fifth was awesome to watch. Both players were pulling no punches and going for even more ambitious shots than usual. Awesome stuff.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 AM

Yeah, this match was tremendous. It started off looking as if it may not live up to the hype w/ Blake controlling the first two sets. Agassi's comeback was incredibly exciting! I didn't know who to root for, and I feel bad someone had to lose. At least we'll have an American in the finals! Hopefully Agassi. These personality driven matches are great for tennis. Unfortunately they don't happen too often.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 AM

Hyped up matches are never as good as people expect, and this one definitely looked like it was going to follow suit the first few sets. Then Agassi just came alive, and showed why he is Andre Agassi.

I agree that one of the most compelling aspects of the match were the players and not only their personalities, but how they traveled to get to where they were. Agassi could barely walk a few months ago, and should be way too old to be competing with 20 year olds, and Blake just recovering from all his ailments and family problems.

The fact that all this took place in NY, in front of home fans that love them both just added to the moment.